• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 460nm Actinic Powerbrite LED review

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thumbs up 460nm Actinic Powerbrite LED review

Here's the link to the homepage http://www.current-usa.com/powerbrite.html
      suggested retail: $69.99 for the powered system and $54.99 for the link module.
      street price: I've seen them online in the range of $50 for the powered system and $40 for the link module.
      I paid $110 for the 3 of mine

Pros: Great color (alone they act like blacklights, really glowing corals)
      super small profile (can be used for many unique applications)
      super low power consumption (4 watts per strip)
      very little heat
      up to 3 strips can be linked and powered by one plug
      price/life ratio (I think even at retail price they're a good deal)

Cons: the light beam is a bit too directional. This might be an issue for those who cannot give sufficient vertical space between the strip and the water surface or for bigger tanks where large areas coverage is desired.
      price (for the size, I think some will be put off by the price tag)

I have a unique situation. I want actinics. But in order to keep using my MH pendant I was going to have to build a custom canopy to house 3 PC actinic fixtures, which are bulky, produce heat (the ballasts anyway),would have run about 54 watts, and would have needed bulb replacements over time. After much research and going back and forth I instead purchased 3 of the 460nm Actinic Powerbrite LED strips to use as actinics on my 42g hex tank. This turned out to be a perfect solution for me needing no canopy, producing very little heat, using only 12 watts and lasting (supposedly) 10-15 years.

Personally, I love these lights. The mounting to my Hamilton bell pendant was pretty simple (one $20 trip to Lowe's, quick and easy install which I can document if there's interest). I can imagine so many different ways of mounting these in different applications and they can also be set on top of glass using some rubber feet provided in the package. They're mounted about 8 inches above the water surface so there's a decent light spread, but I wish they were a bit less directional (might be an issue if sitting on glass). I can live with it, I've actually been considering adding a second set As and actinic supplement they have made my tank look so much more like I want it to and stand alone they make things look pretty incredible. I've been unable to truly capture the colors (themselves and for comparison) but have some crappy pics (dirty glass and forgot to take off glass lid ) below attempting to show what these babies do. BTW in case it isn't obvious in both sets of comparison shots the first pic is only MH, the second is MH and Powerbrites, and the third is only Powerbrites .

All in all, I recommend these as a viable actinic solution, especially for unique situations where standard PC or T5 lamps would be difficult. I can't comment on using them as stand alone light sources for nanos, I'll have to let someone else give it a try and do a review of the 10k or 10k/460nm combos.

Last edited by barometer; 01-07-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

GoTakuF1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nice job on rigging it up and good review. Well done, Ed!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

BTW, the Powerbrites complement the Iwasaki very well. Couldn't believe the difference with those little LEDs!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Minh,

The setup is actually pretty clean for a quick job, maybe I'll post a DIY thread about it. I'm thinking that I get more yellow with my white pendant than you do with a metal reflector, and my glass is very green so the difference with these is probably more noticeable in my tank.

BTW everyone, I got the 2 link modules from a guy on eBay. A straight buy-it-now arrangement that I had been communicating with him about for weeks. He's an excellent seller and carries various aquarium products with good prices. If anyone is interested, his eBay name is tahoeltz2007, visit his store. He didn't have these initially, but was able to get them, posted a special BIN on eBay for me and beat any other advertised price I could find. I definitely recommend doing business with him.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah, the vertical orientation isn't the best for halides but it works for your tank profile. The Iwasaki can compensate, it's a PAR monster!

Jessy is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Is that my little baby yellow leather growing so big?!? Sorry for the side track...those are awesome lights. I was looking at getting a set of those for moonlights because I can't mount anything on my tek fixture.
      Jessy -
      -Creative Soup, Owner
      If you need anything for marketing a business hit me up... Logos, Business Cards, Banners, Post Cards, T-Shirts, I do it all.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

no worries Jessy
      Yup, that's your baby.....well not such a baby anymore. It's growing nicely, just starting to get the little wave around the edge

These lights would make some super crazy moonlights on your 90 Jessy. I'd think 3 linked straight across and as high as your tek fixture would give you decent coverage.

jrlafrance is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Great review Ed! Makes a huge difference in how your tank looks also! Nice upgrade.

pnguy3n is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Great review Ed. You are like Macgyver.

ManTis is offline Registered User
      My status is: I am married to TOO many
      tanks!!!!

I am:
      Piratey

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pnguy3n
      Great review Ed. You are like Macgyver.
      DITTO!!! Your tank is looking great Ed...KEEP IT UP...!!!

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Great review, and nice mod Ed.
      I was at Current yesterday, and picked up one 10k, one 460, and a 36" 12LED 10k strip.
      Amazing how bright these are.
      One note; Ike told me they lose intensity w/ heat, so best to keep as far from halides as you can, however in your situation that mount seems to be best option, and your still getting obvious good results.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks David,

I was wondering if heat was going to have any affect on their performance. My pendant can get pretty hot, but it seems there's really no transfer of heat to the strips, so I'm happy with it so far. I'm definitely interested in your opinion of the other versions of the LEDs.....seems there's gotta be some cool applications for these.

odyssey07 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Do you think these can be used as the sole source of lighting on a SPS tank? It seems that watt for watt they produce the same outout as MH lamps (50 lumens/watt), so you would need 150 LED lamps (or 37 modules) to equal a 150W MH lamp. Does that sound right?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by odyssey07
      Do you think these can be used as the sole source of lighting on a SPS tank? It seems that watt for watt they produce the same outout as MH lamps (50 lumens/watt), so you would need 150 LED lamps (or 37 modules) to equal a 150W MH lamp. Does that sound right?
      I can't comment definitively on the 10k or the 10k/460nm combos because I only have the actinics. But from what I've heard from the company and other sources is that they are not intended to be used as a sole light source. That's not to say that it can't be done. I imagine for the right sized nano these should be able to grow most anything and if you used a grip of them as you mentioned you might be able to light even a larger tank. But that would get pretty costly up front @ $40+ per strip.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information