• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

MichaelRyanSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

How to Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

1. Find the right bread: traditionally white bread is used (think "Wonder Bread" or "Bunny Bread") but for several reasons a multigrain/whole wheat is better for your health:

* White bread isn't as sturdy and the jelly soaks through (remember your grade school field trips with prepackaged lunches? no good.)
      * White bread is extremely processed and lacks vitamins - why not make this delicious and healthy?
      * Multigrain adds its own flavor that complements the sweetness of the jelly and peanut butter.
      * When choosing whole wheat, make sure the bread is 100% whole wheat flour, not 100% enriched whole wheat flour.

2. Always take the second and third piece of bread because the end pieces taste bad
      3. Choose your peanut butter. You'll need to decide between chunky or smooth. Chunky can often be harder to spread, as it can tear the bread. But it does add a nice crunch.
      4.Choose your jelly. Not every flavor will work -- most people like grape, strawberry or raspberry.
      5. Get a good amount of peanut butter on a knife or spoon (this amount varies with your personal preference) and spread it out evenly onto one of the slices of bread.
      6. Wipe any residual peanut butter from the knife onto the second piece of bread.
      7. Scoop some jelly onto the other slice of bread. Again, the amount is up to you, but when in doubt, use less rather than more. Jelly tends to squeeze out the edges and drip if you use too much. Make sure to spread the jelly evenly.

8. Gently press the two slices of bread together (facing the sides with the peanut butter and jelly towards each other). Always put the peanut butter side on top of the jelly side beacuse the jelly will fall off
      9.Cut sandwich. This could be in half crosswise into two congruent triangular slices, in half across the shorter width into two rectangles, into fourths either of these directions, or into as many pieces as you want. Enjoy!

Tips

* It is less messy to spread the jelly before the peanut butter. Given the consistency, it is much easier to wipe jelly from a knife onto the bread. Spreading peanut butter first will likely result in peanut butter residue in the jelly jar.
      * Buttering the bread first (the side with the peanut butter) enhances the flavor. Be aware that it also adds fat to the meal.
      * If packing in a school lunch, the sandwich can be prepared using frozen bread slices. The sandwich will be thawed and still be slightly chilled for eating. Frozen bread also provides tear resistance.
      * For a variety, use different types of peanut butter (crunchy or smooth) and various jelly flavors (grape, strawberry, raspberry, etc.)
      * Putting potato chips, tortilla chips or pretzels on the sandwich makes the experience even crunchier and fun. Just make sure you add them at the last minute so they don't get soggy and lose the crunch factor. You can also add honey or bananas for a change of flavor.
      * You can make a smaller sandwich with just one slice of bread, folded in half. Remember to use half the usual amount of spreads or it will ooze out the edges.
      * Make an open-faced sandwich with just one slice of bread and your usual preferred amount of spread on top. Spread the peanut butter first and the jelly on top. This is the messiest PB&J sandwich, so eat carefully!
      * Remember to clean up afterward, so that no one else will be bothered with cleaning up your sticky mess.
      * If too much time goes by between the application of the jelly and consumption, the jelly can soak into the bread and make it soggy. So, if you plan on enjoying your creation a considerable while after you make it, spread peanut butter on both sides then spread the jelly on one side, thereby insulating the jelly from the bread.
      * You can also try mixing peanut butter, jelly and a bit of syrup in a bowl and then spreading that on the bread. It's yummy.
      * If you have trouble with spreading the peanut butter (ie, it tears up the bread, or stays in a glob), try stirring the peanut butter in the jar up a little before trying to apply it to the bread. It will loosen up the mix, and will be far easier to spread. Another tip for spreading peanut butter, especially the kind with peanuts in it, is to put some of the peanut butter in a bowl and microwave it on high for about 20 seconds. It will spread on the bread like butter.
      * Many mainstream brands of peanut butter contain partially dehydrogenated oils that are bad for your health. An organic peanut butter, such as Teddy brand, is a healthier option that is equally as tasty.
      * If you are really hungry, try putting another slice of bread in the middle that has peanut butter on both sides.
      * Peanut butter and honey makes a very filling sandwich if you make it like this: 3 slices of bread, peanut butter on the two outside pieces, honey on both sides of the inside piece of bread. The longer the sandwich sits, the more the middle bread soaks up the honey.

Warnings

* Don't try this without a beverage to wash it down. Peanut butter is sticky on the inside, as well! Milk works best.
      * Peanut allergies can be very serious. Make sure you don't have any, and don't feed PB&J to anyone with a food allergy.
      * Don't cut the bread before adding the spreads.
      * If you spread on a lot of peanut butter and jelly it will ooze out of the edges of the sandwich when you bite into it. Make sure you use a napkin to keep from making a mess.
      * Never put the peanut butter slice on top of the jelly. If the jelly slice is on the bottom, it will soak into the bread and you could have a pool of jelly. With that said, place the jelly slice on top of the peanut butter slice. The peanut butter if applied thick enough will prevent the jelly from soaking through the bottom slice of bread.
      * If you do lick the knife when done, be very careful of sharp edges!
      * Sometimes wheat bread is not the best tasting bread if you are used to white flour bread.
      Last edited by MichaelRyanSD; 12-17-2007 at 03:22 PM.

jrlafrance is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Nice.

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

What nicely kept fingernails you have, MR.

pnguy3n is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by acbaldwin
      What nicely kept fingernails you have, MR.
      I was thinking the same. Where do you get your manicures?

WanaLeime is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

LOL....

Somebody's bored!!!!!!!!!!

iVgOnMaD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

ever since you got that new avatar you have changed a lot MR

Sharc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRyanSd
      (facing the sides with the peanut butter and jelly towards each other).
      Thanks so much! This is the part that I would always mess up on.
      Mind if I post this on other forums?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This build thread has been updated....

*Added Tips and Warnings Section...

Stay Tuned for further progress

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you are to attempt this DIY project....its imperative that you read the warning first..this DIY should only be attempted by the advanced aquarium enthusiast

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ok, I've followed the instructions thoroughly but they stop before telling me how to consume the darn thing and I'm soooooo hungry

GoTakuF1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So how does this help my reef tanks? Shall I dose said PB&J? Toss it straight into the tank for fish consumption? How about those kneepads? What says you?

malachai629 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yet the excessive use of inapplicable smileys was a far better use!
      Last edited by malachai629; 12-17-2007 at 03:56 PM.

barometer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by malachai629
      Yet the excessive use of innaplicable smileys was a far better use!
      snap!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The PB&J I have found is better dosed in the sump...the rapid water movement dissolves the supplement better and in a sort of time release format, in case anyone was wondering what it does....let me clarify

The PB&J Supplement...

Helps with Water Clarity so that it is 100% crystal clear
      Balances all Chemical Levels to their appropriate figures...i.e Calcium to 420ppm..Nitrates to 0....Ph to 8.2, etc

It feed fish for up to a month depending on the bio-load...
      It skims protein out of the water (rated up to 1000g)
      It also either chills or heats the water to 79 degrees...

Sharc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by seahorse_man
      It doesn't help reefs it is just a waste of space and a thread,so now everytime I click on the DIY section I will see this waste
      Waste? I think not.

This is ONLY the most practical thread in the DIY section to date.

Round of applause for MRSD.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information