• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ecotech Marine Vortech powerhead with wireless wave driver

Clownaholic is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Steve (EcoTech Cust Ser) sent me an email saying they'd send me a new pump with a return label for the bad if I provided a CC number, in case you renig on the deal, but only because I've owned it less than a week. Which would have been cool but I had already mailed my pump back, overnight air. Here's the thing... if you spent $400 on a new pump for say a 90gal tank and you only needed one of these for your setup and it failed, then you had to wait even a week to get a replacement after owning it for less than 48hrs, whould you be a satisfied customer? Mind you, in the week you are waiting to get a new pump... do you buy other powerheads to circulate water while waiting? Do you wait 2 weeks (one to get it there and one to get it back)? What if you get it back and a month later it is doing the same dang thing?

I had one problem with my Tunze in the 6 years I've been reefing. I contacted Victor via email and explained my problem. No flak, no extra "Did you do this? What about that?" I work trouble calls for electronics I know the data needed to troubleshoot... Victor had a new motor block for a 6200 series at my doorstep the next day when I got home from work. THAT my friends is customer service. I regret selling my Tunzes now. Sure they looked like a brick but their newer model doesn't. They just came out with a controller you can program on your computer. I think my $1500 could have been spent more wisely is all I'm saying. OH, and these VorTech are NOT quiet, the don't rattle when installed properly but the do make plenty of motor noise.

One last thing... as of right now I've been without my $420 pump, make that $480 after overnight shipping for customer service, for nearly a week because my problem started Friday night of last week. Tech support back and forth put of mailing until Monday AM and they had it Tuesday AM when they opened their doors. I'll let you know when the new or repaired unit returns. Grrrr!
      Last edited by Clownaholic; 04-30-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Retzius View Post
      These pumps have a much more aesthetic appeal than Tunzes. I am contemplating buying one in the future but there seem to be some issues with the pumps. Its hard to decide, I guess I'll wait for more reviews.

Go to the website, click customer service, check out the downloaded "Product Service and Repair information on the right side of the page. They have a "LIST" of common problems to check when you send a pump in for work. Yes, that's right a list.
      Last edited by Clownaholic; 04-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.

DMx is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So Clownaholic, you ready to sell your two working units and go with the new tunzes?

Retzius is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I dont like the idea of spending $400+ and having the manufacturer of the product question you about how it operated or having you trouble shoot it. I have Tunzes as well and when I contact Victor about any problems, he gladly replaces the part. I get no questioning or hassles and the pumps are not worth $400 bucks, more like $60. That to me is a turn-off from ecotech marine.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Not getting rid of them just yet... I'm in over my head with them right now.

I just received my pump back from EcoTech. The paperwork said, ran diagnostic unit operated within parameters.... BUT it doesn't rattle on the dry side now. It looks like they took the dry side apart but I have no proof of what they did <sigh>. At any rate, the 3 units are installed and operating as advertised. So let's see how long it lasts this time.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

AND a new problem... sheared off a shaft on the wetside. Everything was balanced appropriately and worked well right up until this awful noise errupted.

KT-150 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I may go with tunzes with my new setup because of this. I've had to ship my vortechs twice for repair when I had my 180.

Nick_Kun is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

I'm surprised vortech/eco-tech haven't fixed these bugs yet. Main reason I switched from Vortech to Tunzes.

marcof is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

I have been using the mp40 for about a year on my 90 gallon and I love it. It has a small footprint, its quiet, very easy to clean and really moves the water. I had the older Tunze 6100 and they take up much more room in the tank. I also didn't like cleaning them because I kept dropping the part that held the pump to the magnet. I'm sure the newer versions are nicer but Ill stick with with vortech.

--Marco

eho72 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I put in a Vortech MP40W on my new aquarium. Two days later, I had to turn off the power for maintenance on the tank. Once I restarted the power supply, I got the blinking lights then the steady red light. The pump is no longer working. I am thinking to myself, you got to be kidding. It's brand new. Called and email customer support. They are asking me to send in my pump and they will send me a new one. That's nice and all, but why would something new like this fail when it cost over $400?

da6d2003 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm just going to say that I sold all 4 of my vortechs about 2 months ago and went tunze. I gave them more than fair shot and that's that.

wildtigg3r is offline Registered User
      My status is: zzzzzz

I am:
      Tired

I got a used MP20 (previously used for a couple months) and so far everything has been running smoothly (knock on wood). I have it in my solana's middle chamber with a dry box. I take out the wet side for tank cleaning once or every other week. When putting it back together with the dry side, I carefully align the two sides together and make sure the wet side does not rattle or creates too much vibration. I have it on reef mode and everything is the tank seems to like it.

So yea, I'm happy with mine.

jaysonsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Did you make a dry box or buy SteveT's? I was thinking about putting the mp20 on the side of my solana, but the back chambers would really make the tank more seamless.

chazzman is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I just added a new MP10 to my Solana and love it thus far. StevieT doesn't make drydocks anymore so mine is on the side of the tank (not where I would prefer it). I am tempted to make my own drydock but just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

wildtigg3r is offline Registered User
      My status is: zzzzzz

I am:
      Tired

You can contact Austin (ajn81) to make a dry box for you. He made mine in a day.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information