This didn't quite get through to everyone, so here's a sample of
What Not to Post
Quote Originally Posted by Original Poster
Hey, I'm looking for XXX, let me know what you have.
Quote Originally Posted by First Reply
I have one for $xx, I'll let you know when I'm done with it.
Everything's cool so far, but then this comes in:
Quote Originally Posted by Interloper #1
Didn't you just buy this from someone else for cheaper? What's the deal?(Also seen as: I can get this on YYY for less money.)
Now that would have been better handled in PM, and then the rest of the posts shouldn't have occurred.
Quote Originally Posted by (Well intentioned) Interloper #2
Hey Interloper #1, it's uncouth to comment on pricing. (expletives occasionally omitted, often disguised with punctuation)
While this person attempted to correct the first meddler, he's himself broken the second rule and sixth rules.
Quote Originally Posted by Interloper #3
Hey, he's just alerting the buyer to potential injustice! The right of the buyer is greater than that of the seller! (Personal irrelevant attack follows)
See previous comment.
Quote Originally Posted by Interloper #2
Then he should have sent a private message.
See previous comment, also bear in mind that PMs can be sent to many interested parties. At this point, the argument has broken down, and no further developments will occur.
Quote Originally Posted by Interloper #3
Is that the appropriate course of action? You should write a book on the subject, and then we can all be better informed.
Irony is sweet. Such a "book" exists, in the form of this very thread!
Quote Originally Posted by Interloper #2
That's an excellent suggestion! Then the uninformed like Interloper #1 could read it and the community would be more harmonious.
Again, such a resource exists, and he has also contributed to distractions from the original question.
At this point, another entrant contributes his thoughts, with a touch of sarcasm.
Quote Originally Posted by Interloper #4
I would like to buy such a book. Is this not a community in which we all share a common interest? (Clichéd comment inserted here).
P.S. - Interloper #2: If you derive pleasure from cheating others, then... (additional irrelevant personal attack.)
At this point, the original kibitzer defends his actions, comments on several others, the post rate explodes, and everyone forgets what the thread was about to begin with. Perhaps the first respondent defends his choice of sale price, but it's moot. The argument has already taken place, and the defense will be as ineffective as it is pointless. The respondent is now branded as an opportunist. Then a mod has to step in, and correct the situation, and everyone ends up unhappy, and may wish the argument to end in fisticuffs.