• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Scripps water

ScrippsRanchReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Scripps water

For anyone using Scripps water, do you guys getting water with all of the storms we having recently? It’s a mix reef, with LPS and soft corals only, I don’t have SPS. Thanks

FNG-REEFER is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have been using scripts water for the last year and a 1/2. Hadn't had any problems until recently. Our lost batch that we got, crashed our tank. That was before the rains,
      approximately a month or so ago..

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Did you do anything else besides WC for your last batch? If it’s before the rain, I wonder what happens? I use it for 1.5 years too, no prob, but I never get water around the storms.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I hadn't done a water change in a while. We did a 30% wc with the last batch. Everything in the tank closed up and was pissed! Took close to a month for things to open back up, even the more hardy corals like frog spawn, hammers.

We lost a handful of corals. Blastos. Cynarina and sps sticks.

For whatever it's worth, we noticed some of the large metal filter chambers had access ports missing and major rust around the missing port holes.

My guess would be iron contamination, but who knows?
      We will be mixing our own water from now on.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Where is metal filter chamber? Thanks

PowayReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Why spend thousands of dollars, put countless hours and trust into a project you start, just to use risky water? Make it make sense🤣 there is no logic behind using scripps or buying water from any store. Buy your own RODI people. If you can't afford one, don't buy corals and fish until you can afford one.

Lets say you buy water from a store, you're putting your tanks fate in the stores hands. ANYTHING could happen. And you will never know what caused your tank crash. Odds are it's you and not the water. But there are many factors. If you lose your corals after a water change, good luck blaming the store that sold you the water.

You get water from scripps. You're introducing unknown bacterias, and microorganisms that are not native to the biome you're introducing them into. There is no doubt at some point you will have a problem strictly by just that. There are other issues when it comes to post storms, cyano and other tide issues. It is just not worth long term use. If you blame scripps water for a crash, then you're just as much of a fool as a person arguing with a wall. Look up and ask the big man up there why he provided bad water for your reef tank.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Let me get this straight. You pound your drum about how ignorant it is to use scripts water or store bought water and then call me a fool for taking the time to give a 1st hand recent negative experience about using scripts water. Argue with yourself in the mirror much? I don't blame scripts for the tank crash, the water is free and you get what you pay for.

PowayReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by FNG-REEFER View Post
      Let me get this straight. You pound your drum about how ignorant it is to use scripts water or store bought water and then call me a fool for taking the time to give a 1st hand recent negative experience about using scripts water. Argue with yourself in the mirror much? I don't blame scripts for the tank crash, the water is free and you get what you pay for.
      I just read what you said. What I said wasn't targeted towards you. The OP was asking about scripps water and storms. But If you look through SDR and the local Facebook group there has been many posts regarding crashes/use of Scripps water. What I said was more of reasons to avoid using anyone's water other than yours. Like you said, you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Regarding Scripps during storms: the general rule is to steer clear for a few days after. Filtering the water thru a DE filter isn’t a bad idea… below is a link to a cool diy one.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/di...100-00.1023989

Poacher is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Smile

There was a time when we old-timers drank out of a garden hose and got water for our reef tanks out of a garden hose, and we lived to tell about it!

Just kidding!

Here is a great article series on sea-water composition variations around the world!
      https://www.marinebio.net/marinescie...omposition.htm

"In summary, the salinity and pH of seawater are relatively stable measurements whereas temperature, dissolved oxygen, and nutrients may vary.
      The next lesson will introduce you to how all the water masses of the oceans move around and mix, or do not mix in general patterns.
      It is always important to remember that every local situation can be quite different than the 'average' so it is always important to take actual measurements."
      Last edited by Poacher; 02-06-2024 at 01:22 PM.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

I have exclusively been using scripts for 2 decades. Anyone who has seen my tanks or been to the house knows I use it. Definitely not the prettiest of corals but it’s a mixed reef and never really had an issue other than one time but that wasn’t a scrips issue, that was a laziness and nutrient imbalance issue.

I don’t get water for a few days after a storm. I will be waiting for a few weeks after this next one passes before I go again. But I have a 500g holding tank that I usually stock up with prior to any big storms.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information