• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: DT water level help

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DT water level help

I'm finally setting up a "new" SCA 80g and the DT water level is lower than my liking and need some advice on best options to raise it.

The water level is about 2" down from the top of the rimless tank. Tank is plumbed with a Herbie overflow (first time using one) and the emergency drain is already up so high that there is barely a drop from the overflow and the weir is almost completely under water. I am running a Varios4 return pump on full power.

Hoping to raise it up 1".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

apax is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

you're overflow box is low... you need to raise it...

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by apax View Post
      you're overflow box is low... you need to raise it...
      That's how manufacturer built the overflow. How do you suggest I raise the overflow box?
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

Id say lower the water level you have in the pic above, throw some wave makers in on nutrient export mode and do the wave.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Drama D View Post
      Id say lower the water level you have in the pic above, throw some wave makers in on nutrient export mode and do the wave.
      Didn't think about that option. I am howere going to run a couple of Tunzes on some sea sweeps.

Carlo_oz is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
      I'm finally setting up a "new" SCA 80g and the DT water level is lower than my liking and need some advice on best options to raise it.

The water level is about 2" down from the top of the rimless tank. Tank is plumbed with a Herbie overflow (first time using one) and the emergency drain is already up so high that there is barely a drop from the overflow and the weir is almost completely under water. I am running a Varios4 return pump on full power.

Hoping to raise it up 1".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Hey Brian,
      I would leave it at that level I know you are looking to make it a little bit higher but have you considered the fact that once you start up the wave pumps it’s going to be moving a lot more also if you have it so close to the overflow box rim remember fish can go down that overflow ( I don’t see a lid to cover the overflow box that’s why I say it) and once they’re down there you definitely have bigger problems then water level Apart from the fish dying, it can also clog up your main drain I know you have the emergency drain, but what if another fish gets in there Plus having a high water line on a rimless tank is a pain when it comes to cleaning the glass on that top part a nice gap will definitely be a plus but if your set on making it higher then get a strip of plastic and weave it between the weir of your overflow box that should restrict some of the flow, therefore, raising your water level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricenoodle is offline Registered User
      My status is: Cube Addict

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Brian, another option I'd would do would be just silicone the old weir and place another extension of a new overflow higher with a new weir cut in to raise it, take measurements of your overflow box and I'll see if i can cut one for you on my cnc.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

@Carlos it is my first rimless tank and you bring up some good points for just leaving the water level as is.
      @Chris I appreciate the offer of making something on your cnc, but probably not needed. I will also use your advice on plumbing that you sent.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information