• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Why so many “feelers”?!

fity2pounder is offline Registered User
      My status is: WIRED!!!

I am:
      Geeky

Why so many “feelers”?!

I’m just curious. Why do people keep posting “feelers”? Isn’t it either you are selling it or you are not selling it? If you post a sale thread and nobody hits you up, then it’s obvious that there is no interest. The only reason I can think of for a “feeler” is if you are unsure if you want to sell it, which means that you are wasting the time of people that would message you about it if you decide not to sell. Am I missing something here? Or can we all agree that “feelers” are inappropriate on the selling forums?

OhioStreetz is offline Registered User
      My status is: Run with the best F()ck the
      rest!!!

I am:
      Sneaky

It’s more like people are seeing how much they can get for the item so they don’t sell it for to cheap. Having people message them and they tell you to make an offer instead of putting a value on their piece.

PatientZero is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Still, it’s pretty lame. Post something or don’t. Research the going rates before posting. Seems simple to me.
      Last edited by PatientZero; 01-18-2023 at 02:33 PM.

fity2pounder is offline Registered User
      My status is: WIRED!!!

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by OhioStreetz View Post
      It’s more like people are seeing how much they can get for the item so they don’t sell it for to cheap. Having people message them and they tell you to make an offer instead of putting a value on their piece.
      I’d assume that everyone on here has the internet and could search for how much items are selling for by looking on this forum, other forums, retailer websites, etc. Also, if they own the item already, wouldn’t they already know how much they bought it for to give them an estimate on how much it should be sold for?

Also, to my understanding, the forum rules state that a sale price must be posted. If they don’t post a sale price, they are breaking the forum rules. And if they get a lot of interest and then decide to up the price, again, that’s wasting the time of a lot of people and seems quite shady to me.

Does it not make much more sense to ask for selling price feedback in a place other than the sales forum?

FreshSaltH2o is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by fity2pounder View Post
      I’d assume that everyone on here has the internet and could search for how much items are selling for by looking on this forum, other forums, retailer websites, etc. Also, if they own the item already, wouldn’t they already know how much they bought it for to give them an estimate on how much it should be sold for?

Also, to my understanding, the forum rules state that a sale price must be posted. If they don’t post a sale price, they are breaking the forum rules. And if they get a lot of interest and then decide to up the price, again, that’s wasting the time of a lot of people and seems quite shady to me.

Does it not make much more sense to ask for selling price feedback in a place other than the sales forum?
      Another place for price feedback is a great idea in reef related discussions area as a sticky.

apax is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by OhioStreetz View Post
      they want a bidding war... trying to get as much as they can... LMAO (but true)...

CoralGuy93 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I don’t know anything, but I have posted “feelers” a couple times only because I don’t want to over-frag and end up with a bunch of stuff sitting around.

The feelers I have posted have never gotten me anywhere so I don’t bother anymore.

I understand the frustration.

Happy Reefing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreshSaltH2o is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by CoralGuy93 View Post
      I don’t know anything, but I have posted “feelers” a couple times only because I don’t want to over-frag and end up with a bunch of stuff sitting around.

The feelers I have posted have never gotten me anywhere so I don’t bother anymore.

I understand the frustration.

Happy Reefing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      this is a different type of feeler, seeing if there’s interest in a coral beforehand, I think is fine but not posting a price is against forum rules.

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

I think feelers are when you thinking of upgrading something but don’t have enough funds to cover it. So instead of going all out on a purchase, we want to have a feeler to see how many are interested in buying it

moon doggy1 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ultimate feeler, Selling whole setup, not parting out 10K
      Then list all the equipment with retail price.
      Then wait

PowayReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Why so many “feelers”?!

The feeler posts are starting to become spam posts.

Just post it for sale and wait. Or don’t post at all.
      There are the coral flippers who beg for discounts buying other peoples corals while having breakdowns every week, blowing out their corals. Then you have the feeler posts that end up getting bumped AND still remain a feeler. SDR gone to💩

And then there are the posts with no info. No price no number no picture. No format on some of the posts. Free for all
      Last edited by PowayReef; 05-22-2023 at 02:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information