Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mission Hills High School Coral Reef Club

brodysreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Mission Hills High School Coral Reef Club

A little about me:
      This will be the new thread I use for updates. I want to start off by thanking everyone that has offered to donate stuff and help me get this club started. I appreciate each and every single one of you. I also would like to tell you guys a little more about myself before I get to the details so feel free to skip this part. My name is Broden Mitchell and I am a 16 year old kid born and raised here in San Diego. In my free time I play competitive baseball and explore this planets wonderful nature. My passion for the ocean has always been with me and I want to become a Marine Biologist when I grow up. I want to attend either UCSD or Cal State Monterey Bay to play ball and pursue my love for marine biology. Right now I have a 120 gallon saltwater tank with a couple corals and fish. I just recently started a Coral Reef Club at my high school and got approved to bring a reef tank on campus so I can spread my love for the ocean and teach other students everything I know and love about these amazing ecosystems.

Club Details:
      I will be meeting weekly with some other students to learn about Coral Reefs as well as sustaining our very own reef tank on campus. The tank will be a 32 gallon bio cube and will hold soft and lps corals as well as some nano fish. My plan is to slowly take the steps of setting up a reef tank. So this means that we start with the tank and all of the equipment, then let it cycle, add a fish, then some coral and so forth. This will allow a better learning process for everyone as well as ensuring ultimate stability. Over time we will begin to build our little reef and be able to solve various problems we may run into.

Equipment:
      Okay so I spoke a little on it but essentially I will be setting up a 32 gal BioCube. I created a google sheet that shows all the equipment I already have and stuff I may need. I will link that below. You all should have edit access so if you want to donate something I have everything I need pre-programmed. If you think of anything else I may have missed you can also put that in there. No pressure to donate anything just thought I’d throw it put there. You can also be anonymous if you’d rather that just send me a text and we can chat there. If you have any questions about anything feel free to text me at (760) 58five-577three.

link to signup sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6KrMrrn8E/edit

Wanted to also say a special thank you to everyone who has already donated equipment to me. I really appreciate everything, none of this would be possible without you guys.

- Broden Mitchell
      (760) 58five-577three

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Still looking for an ATO. If anyone has one laying around that they’re willing to donate to my club that would be much appreciated. Tank should be setup and ready to go on campus next week. Thank you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

First meeting was a success, 12 passionate kids showed up to learn more about our coral reefs through hands on experiences. Super excited with this turn out and can’t wait to move forward with the whole process. Thank you everyone that has helped be apart of this.

Hoping to start setting up the tank next week!

Noobie_fish is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by brodysreef View Post
      First meeting was a success, 12 passionate kids showed up to learn more about our coral reefs through hands on experiences. Super excited with this turn out and can’t wait to move forward with the whole process. Thank you everyone that has helped be apart of this.

Hoping to start setting up the tank next week!

That’s awesome! Can’t wait to see the tank started. Glad I was able to contribute. Keep us posted on the progress. Ben

BoydReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tank will be ready for pick up this weekend.

PatientZero is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Post when you get running, happy to done something livestock.
      Last edited by PatientZero; 09-23-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thank you everyone!!
      Last edited by brodysreef; 09-23-2022 at 07:24 PM.

dhuynh is offline Advanced Hobbyist
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

When you’re ready for corals, we’ll help fill your tank! Come by the shop. Free of course as long as the club do research on each coral you take.

Danny

Kung Fu Corals

::: TEL: 619.ThreeZeroZero.1390
      "Great minds have purposes, others have wishes" - anonymous
      Tanks: 500, 500FW,40,FW, About PIF

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Awesome Danny! You’re the man!

619reefer15 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I can donate some mushrooms as well. I have plenty

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tank is in and ready to add water!!! Most likely going to fill it either this Friday, or sometime next week!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Just thought of this as a possible Idea. Does anyone have any water quality tests lying around that they would be willing to donate to my club? It wouldn’t be a huge problem bringing my set back and forth from my house to school but I think it would be cool to have a school set since we will be testing a lot as a club. Just throwing it out there as an idea, text me if you have anything. Thanks!!!!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by brodysreef View Post
      Just thought of this as a possible Idea. Does anyone have any water quality tests lying around that they would be willing to donate to my club? It wouldn’t be a huge problem bringing my set back and forth from my house to school but I think it would be cool to have a school set since we will be testing a lot as a club. Just throwing it out there as an idea, text me if you have anything. Thanks!!!!
      I made this logo for my club for some stickers that I am going to order, what do you guys think? Our mascot is a Grizzly Bear so I thought it was a cool concept with the paw.

Trickman2 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Also happy to give some corals.

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My son's a senior there and my daughter a freshman. I told them they should attend a meeting, but it's more my hobby than there's. I'm also a teacher at an elementary school and very generous members helped me get a tank running in my classroom before Covid hit. Have you thought about how the tank and inhabitants will be cared for over the weekends or holidays? I have some mushrooms and pulsing xenia for the tank when ready.
      Last edited by goody; 10-05-2022 at 03:31 PM.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information