• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I plumb from house to garage?

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Can I plumb from house to garage?

Looking to get my SCA 80g build going. I want to plumb it to the garage where I plan to keep my sump, skimmer, and other equipment. I cut the drywall from the garage and saw that there is OSB sheathing on interior wall. Can I cut this or would I be breaking some code?

If this is allowed, should I just run the PVC through opening or should I use some support for the PVC?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

I’d say cut away, just use the same size hole saw as the pipe

OhioStreetz is offline Registered User
      My status is: Run with the best F()ck the
      rest!!!

I am:
      Sneaky

Use a hole saw the same diameter as the pvc exterior and just slide them through the osb will be plenty of support for them. I did the same thing with my 300 gallon

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

People do it all the time, but it could be an issue if you ever had a fire. Now you could do this in a shed outside, but your garage is supposed to be sealed off and not allow air to potentially breath fire into the main living area. Even if you use a hole saw and seal it, you have still have placed a tube that can breathe between the wall. This is why we have thicker drywall, fire rated entry doors from garage and other measures . It is my understanding this could deny your claim.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't even thinking of using a hole saw. I was thinking of cutting out the same size hole as I did from garage. Would there be any issues with vibration/noise using a hole saw?
      Sounds like a better option according to Dave's reply with less air movement from garage to house.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

OhioStreetz is offline Registered User
      My status is: Run with the best F()ck the
      rest!!!

I am:
      Sneaky

Also I have the hole saw bits as well as the extension in order to make it through thick walls and your welcome to barrow them for the job

seaArt is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

U can always repair the drywall cuts. Just place the plumbing thru patch tape caulk and paint it will help with the fireproofing and stuff.

BajaReefs is offline Registered User
      My status is: …

I am:
      Cocky

Keep in mind to have the drain side at a slight angle for drainage flow

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by OhioStreetz View Post
      Also I have the hole saw bits as well as the extension in order to make it through thick walls and your welcome to barrow them for the job
      Appreciate the offer, but I think I should be okay on the bit.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by BajaReefs View Post
      Keep in mind to have the drain side at a slight angle for drainage flow
      I was planning on using 90° from drains through the wall and another 90° down into sump. This is similar to how I've run my drains in the past. Do you see any problems with this? I don't think that would give me a slight angle.

I am:
      Amused

That should be fine. If it were me I'd use a hole saw just slightly bigger than drain, so a 2" drain I'd use a 2 1/8" hole saw, and caulk/silicone, and that should dampen sound or any vibration noise. You could also use spaflex same as PVC which tends to dampen sound and usually has a natural slope/bend, but either will work. I personally really like the spaflex as it gives wiggle room.
      It would have been nice to start off w/ the proper size hole saw from the beginning for a perfect cut into solid drywall and not have to do a funky patch, so again if it were me and you have the option I would probably start over and run the drain a couple inches over from either side of your cutout, and that way you can easily patch what you did(hopefully you saved the square drywall piece) and that way you don't have drain on a weak patch area(hope that makes sense).
      This is still fudging code just to make sure you understand that, just gotta say(You know being in the trade)

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks Dave. I went out and bought some flex pipe. I can't move the hole to either side or tank wouldn't be centered on wall. I can probably drill the holes lower so I wouldn't have to use the cutout I made in the garage. I could patch it with the piece I saved.

Would you suggest plumbing the spaflex directly into bulkheads? Since I was planning on using the existing cutout in the SCA stand, there's not enough space to put in some unions and then the spaflex, unless I drilled holes lower in the stand.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am:
      Amused

If you did hole saw or cut/notch the back of the stand you'd land on stronger drywall section and be able to use unions correct? Unions would be preferable for sure IMO, but I know it's a little more work and added expense. Judgement call, but I'd lean towards doing it that way.
      Last edited by davocean; 12-30-2021 at 05:54 AM.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      If you did hole saw or cut/notch the back of the stand you'd land on stronger drywall section and be able to use unions correct? Unions would be preferable for sure IMO, but I know it's a little more work and added expense. Judgement call, but I'd lean towards doing it that way.
      Correct. I already bought the unions just wasn't sure if drilling a few holes in the stand was a good idea.

I am:
      Amused

Most stands are made assuming they will be notched or bored in back for plumbing. They add some shear strength as long as the main perimeter is still connected to sides, top and bottom. Holesaw or cutouts are common and shouldn't change anything there.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information