• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: ALL Skimmers Should All Be Named GOLDILOX!

Tomsimtim is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Cool ALL Skimmers Should All Be Named GOLDILOX!

For my entire 15 years in the reef hobby, protein skimmers have been the Bain of my existence! Ultimately every protein skimmer should be named Goldilox. The sump water level is too high, sump water level is too low, and rarely, oh so ever rarely is it juuuuuuust right. When it is, you are deathly afraid of touching it because it took so much time and effort to get it dialed in just right. God forbid you have to clean it and spend an inordinate amount of time dialing it in again and again and again with each cleaning. Or even working in your tank, the small volume of water that leaves the aquarium via putting things in and out of your tank will set your skimmer into a tizzy.

Sump manufacturers have started to alleviate this problem with a variable height chamber wall that allows us to "Dial In" our water level in the sump to maximize the effectiveness of our protein skimmers is a step in the right direction.

My ultimate solution to this problem, God only knows why this divine intervention took 15 years to come to me is beyond me, but here it is.

I needed a way to consistently determine the correct water level for the skimmer in my sump to maximize the skimmer's performance repeatedly over and over and over again, just like the scientific method. So I went to my local Michael's craft store, went to the sewing section and purchased a plastic tape measure. I picked up some self-adhesive velcro while I was there too.

I put the "0" end of the tape measure on the bottom of the sump, then ran the tape measure up the length of the sump and cut it off. NOW, FINALLY THE BEARS GOT GOLDILOX!!!!!

Now I can finally establish the EXACT WATER LEVEL that the sump needs to be at to maximize skimmer performance. When you do water changes, it is almost impossible to have the exact same level in your sump. Now I look at my tape measure add/remove as little or as much as I need to get the water level back to the perfect optimization level it was before the water change. EASY PEEZY LEMON SQUEEZY! I currently have it on the US Standard units side, but I will flip it to metric to be even more precise. OUTSTANDING!

I even have a graduated 1L plastic beaker to measure the effluence of my skimmer to return the same amount of clean saltwater that is ejected by the skimmer.

A 15 year PAIN in my backside has finally been relieved! Hope the rest of the aquarium world finds this as helpful as it has been for me.

Last edited by Tomsimtim; 11-11-2021 at 04:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information