• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Saphire Sump 34 Review

Tomsimtim is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Unhappy Trigger Systems Saphire Sump 34 Review

I have had to modify the sump to make it quieter. The distance from the outflow of the sock chamber to the water level of 2nd chamber is approximately 5-6" a lot of room for the outflow to build up sufficient head way to make a lot of noise.

I have placed a heat and mold piece of plastic to attach to the primary internal over flow above the filter socks to create a cascading slide at approximate 45 degree angle for the water to slide into the 2nd chamber. Now the water just slides out of the chamber above the socks into the 2nd chamber along the angled piece of plastic without a sound.

To attach the plastic slide I had to drill three holes in the wall that separates the filter socks from chamber #2 and put three plastic bolts and wing nuts to hold the slide in place.

Took out the sock mount which housed two 4" diameter filter socks. Only to measure the 4" X 3.5" diameter OVAL holes, which is why the 4" diameter ROUND filter socks are such a bear to get in and out. I replaced the filter socks with filter flax and two new 4" by 4.75" plexiglass plates with 12 qty 5/32" holes in each plate to simulate the back up and subsequent overflow caused by the filter socks. The sock chamber is 4" X 9 1/2". 1st attempt with 1/4" holes was not sufficient back up to create an overflow into the second chamber. The smaller holes did the trick.

Ironic thing is, the sump took out more larger particulate matter without the "restricter plates" in than with them in place. I may just put a bubbler into the 1st chamber with the returns for oxygenation of the water and remove the restricter plates altogether to let the filter flax remove more of the larger particulate matter.

Construction is sturdy But overall an average sump.

Posted this same review on the below website yesterday, not sure they are going to post it though.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sapph...r-systems.html
      Last edited by Tomsimtim; 08-31-2021 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Tried to upload a photo from my desktop, but could not

Tomsimtim is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Happy

Update, Bulkreefsupply did post my review. Give them credit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information