• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Fish dead???

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Fish dead???

Power outage hit last night at 10:45pm. My tank is in the garage and I have no way to get in the garage. I don't think I my battery powered air pump hoses were in the tank. Are my fish all probably dead? I'm trying to get a garage repair out here to see if they can somehow get it open, but if 9 hours without surface agitation has probably killed all my fish, then I will just wait until power comes back on to see the destruction to the tank.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So it is kinda dangerous (so if you do this use extreme caution). I had power go out and I could not get into my garage (this was a couple years ago) You can essentially hot wire your panel or circuit that controls your garage door opener via an outlet. Male to male extension cord and then hit the garage door opener.... like I said though prongs on plug are live when generator is on so it is dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by seanmcknew; 12-03-2020 at 08:18 AM.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcknew View Post
      So it is kinda dangerous (so if you do this use extreme caution). I had power go out and I could not get into my garage (this was a couple years ago) You can essentially hot wire your panel or circuit that controls your garage door opener via an outlet. Male to male extension cord and then hit the garage door opener.... like I said though prongs on plug are live when generator is on so it is dangerous.

Appreciate it the suggestion but I'm not comfortable around electrical and as you said that solution is dangerous.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Appreciate it the suggestion but I'm not comfortable around electrical and as you said that solution is dangerous.

jasonp87 is offline SDR Moderator/Ninja
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

Hard to tell. Fish live in a tiny little sealed bag overnight when they are shipped. Obviously your tank uses more oxygen than just what the fish need, but hopefully the power comes on soon and you haven't lost much.
      -Jason
      SDReefs Moderator

55 Gallon Corner Build
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...5-Corner-Build

(OLD) Mr. Aqua 25 Gallon Cube Reef
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-cube&p=832284

(OLD) 10 Gallon Reef w/ 10 Gallon Sump/Fuge
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...lon-reef-build

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
      No worries. Debated posting that but I know how we all feel about our hobby.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

No worries. Debated posting that but I know how we all feel about our hobby.

Yeah, I was considering cutting through the drywall and seeing if I could reach my battery operated pump or at least stir the surface of the water with a spatula. Wife was like no way...all that for $30 of fish. I had to tell her all those fish are at least $30 each. Still didn't persuade her.

Luckily, power just came back on. 12 hours of no heaters and pumps and so far all livestock looks to have survived. No to slowly bring my temp back up from 70.4

Have the garage set on manual control and battery operated pump hoses are in the tanks just in case the SDGE call.we just received saying our power may be shut off for 72 hours happens later today.

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

*wrong thread* my bad.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information