• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Inline Pump

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Inline Pump

I'm building a saltwater mixing station and had a Mag 5 pump sitting around. The description says it works both inline and submerged, but when I plumbed it inline, it's not moving any water from my rodi container to my saltwater container. Removed it from plumbing and put in a bucket of water and it works submerged. Is there something I'm missing here? Photo is just to show progress, so you don't think I had valves closed causing no water movement.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

Joey’sReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Maybe prime it?
      Also, idk if that’s how you had it while you turned the pump on but it looks like all of your valves are closed.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Maybe try stress testing it submerged with a similar length of pipe on it as you have there; could be it cant handle the head pressure.

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ignore if you're aware but as Joey noted, all the ball valves are closed in the pic...

Judging from the image I'm assuming the rodi is on the right and mixing on the left...

You're gonna want to open the main rodi valve at its base as well as the valve directly above the pump leading into the other container to let the water/air equalize and fill the pump and pvc above it to the water line...also, it looks like the lid is cracked on the right but make sure the lid is cracked on the left a bit to accommodate the air pressure -or just make small holes in the lids or elsewhere to release the pressure on each side while still keeping everything relatively buttoned up

My ...good luck!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for the replies.
      Yes, I realize valves in photo were closed in photo that's why I mentioned in original post photo was just to show progress of build. I'm going to prime it, as that sounds like my issue. Mag 5 probably not a self-priming pump. So would that mean I would need to prime it every time I want to bring rodi water to saltwater mixing tank and to take saltwater to the display? Basically, any time I turn on pump, it will need to be primed?
      I will also make sure kids are both tight and air/water pressure is equalized. Both kids do have small release holes on top.
      Might need to find a different pump to make this more automatic.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

I would think you want both lids vented to be able to displace the water with air. Trying to pump water out of them with the lid closed is going to create a vacuum. Try it again with no lids.
      Last edited by pirate2876; 05-27-2020 at 08:46 AM.

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I can't imagine it'd need any more priming than just making sure the impeller housing has water in it so the impeller will spin freely but that should happen without much effort

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by pirate2876 View Post
      I would think you want both lids vented to be able to displace the water with air. Trying to pump water out of them with the lid closed is going to create a vacuum. Try it again with no lids.
      But wouldn't the pump have worked inline when I tested with an 5 gallon bucket with no lid?

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
      But wouldn't the pump have worked inline when I tested with an 5 gallon bucket with no lid?
      Yes, I believe it would have. Maybe try a different pump?

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Success, although I do think pump needs replaced.. I primed the pump by pouring rodi water in the line that extends out for filling up 5g jugs. Opened and closed all correct valves and pumped water from one container to the other. Closed off rodi valve and circulated water in mixing tank.
      Let me know if anyone has a pump that would be good for this mixing station.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information