• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank leak

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tank leak

I've had lots of questions lately, but none more important than this. I noticed a trickle of water down the front panel of the 90g I bought used on here. I thought maybe it was water from cleaning the inside glass , but when I pushed on the rim, quite a bit more water came down the front panel. So does this mean silicone is bad? Or something worse, like tank is about to break due to weak rim? Thoughts on what I can do are appreciated.
      https://youtu.be/xfXeVWpRBQo

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

Can we get a pic of the inside of that trim Brian? I've always thought the trim is not structural but I don't understand why there would be water coming from it. Could it cracked behind the trim?

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tank leak

The top of the glass stops against the bottom of the plastic trim and has a bead of silicone that seals that joint. If that silicone is damaged, water sloshing around in the tank can find its way past. The good news is that it’s not really structural and you can probable fix the issue by temporarily lowering the water level for a day, cutting out the old “triangle” of silicone under the trim with a sharp razor blade and applying new silicone. Just make sure to not cut any silicone where glass meets glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      The top of the glass stops against the bottom of the plastic trim and has a bead of silicone that seals that joint. If that silicone is damaged, water sloshing around in the tank can find its way past. The good news is that it’s not really structural and you can probable fix the issue by temporarily lowering the water level for a day, cutting out the old “triangle” of silicone under the trim with a sharp razor blade and applying new silicone. Just make sure to not cut any silicone where glass meets glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Good to hear it's not structural. Both you and Ray believe that. I will drop the water level, try to get a photo, and see if I can see any cracks in glass or silicone bead.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hard to get a clear photo of that inside rim. I did lower the water level some and aimed my powerhead at different angle, and I'm not seeing water leaking so it may have been too high up with maybe a bad silicone bead. I also noticed that despite tank stand level the tank filled with water is not. It is slightly lower in the front, also adding to this issue.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Not sure if it is relevant to your situation but this trick demonstrated by inappropriate reefer (provided by eat sleep reef) could buy you time. https://youtu.be/mx0f99u_zbo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information