• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Modifying Existing Sump Baffles

goody is offline Registered User
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Modifying Existing Sump Baffles

I have to start off by saying this is a great community of reefers with a wealth of knowledge, and have recently helped me solve my skimmer problem and installing an RODI system to my water heater.

So, now that my skimmer is "fixed" I am not able to run it in my sump I purchased 3 years ago because baffles keep water level too high and no room under the stand.

I purchased this sump due to its size and to go with my eventual tank upgrade. It is 48x 20x 20 with
      First chamber: 20 x 15.5 (includes 12x15.5 skimmer area and 8x15.5 for drain and 2 filter socks)
      Middle chamber: 20 x 17 wanted to have this as refugium
      Third chamber: 20 x 8 return

The way the baffles were installed, they keep the water level about 1.5 inches from the top of the entire length of sump until return section.

Is there a way I can modify these baffles w/o damaging the sump. I'm thinking I can probably cut them down, but I've never worked with acrylic and probably don't have tools/bits to do this. I can also probably cut "slits" at the height I want in the baffles, but again not sure if tools.

Water is not as high as it would normally be. I'm not even having water go to 3rd section that will eventually be my real return section. I've slowly been moving pump over chambers as I would get more water for tank and sump.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jerrod is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Depending on clearance above it you can make a stand out of egg crate to raise the skimmer that way there is no modifying the actual sump thats what I did when I had the same issue. If you can't raise it I would either drill a few holes to allow water to drop or cut slits like you said but there are risks to both as you could crack the acrylic or glass and vibration could break the seams of that baffle.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod View Post
      Depending on clearance above it you can make a stand out of egg crate to raise the skimmer that way there is no modifying the actual sump thats what I did when I had the same issue. If you can't raise it I would either drill a few holes to allow water to drop or cut slits like you said but there are risks to both as you could crack the acrylic or glass and vibration could break the seams of that baffle.
      Thanks for suggestions. I already have a 5" acrylic stand for it but the skimmer operates at a water level of 6.5" . A stand needed to do that and I wouldn't have room for skimmer under the stand.
      I didn't think of drilling holes. I wonder which would put less stress on acrylic. Holes or cutting, slots??
      What kind of drill bit would I use? And is it best do drill/cut acrylic slow or fast speed?

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well I ended up.able to make a 9" stand out of eggcrate that barely allows my skimmer under the stand. Skimmer sits in 7" of water instead of recommended 6.5".

What allowed me to do this was I forgot I had a AquaC remora waste collection container, so I don't have to remove skimmer collection cup to empty, only ever once in awhile to clean.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information