• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: A treat for people who knew Jasper

dhuynh is offline Advanced Hobbyist
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A treat for people who knew Jasper

This is a chalice from this lineage. Such a cool guy and part of the SDR history for sure.

Here’s a video of it on here. Thanks to Travis (Livinglocal) for sharing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-WVtcPJ...d=men1cxg4hvty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by dhuynh; 03-29-2020 at 11:35 PM.

::: TEL: 619.ThreeZeroZero.1390
      "Great minds have purposes, others have wishes" - anonymous
      Tanks: 500, 500FW,40,FW, About PIF

jetli1969 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Honey, stay away from my fish
      tank!

I am:
      Awesome

Very nice piece!!!!

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Love it!
      Jasper was such a cool and helpful guy on here from the good ol days, had a beautiful tank and gave great deals on frags, got many from him, and built some bulletproof calcium reactors!
      He also coined the term, Big MAC, (magnesium, alkalinity, calcium) to make it easy to remember the top 3 tests we should all be doing regularly.
      Very much missed, but not forgotten!

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Oh wow blast from the past. Jasper was good people for sure.

I donated an old calcium reactor to Joeymo over the weekend that had exchanged hands a number of times before landing in my equipment pile, but based on the build style I think it might be an OG Jasper reactor

CyberGuy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaFishies View Post
      Oh wow blast from the past. Jasper was good people for sure.

I donated an old calcium reactor to Joeymo over the weekend that had exchanged hands a number of times before landing in my equipment pile, but based on the build style I think it might be an OG Jasper reactor
      I got a nice calcium reactor made by Jasper when I asked him to build it for me and I barely use it and sold it last year. I wonder if you bought it from me or someone else I forgot.

He did have a really nice tank. It was actually a pretty big tank.

People who knew Jasper are likely the ones that registered to this forum before 2010 I think. I forgot what year he passed away.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

RIP to a legend. Never met in person but have heard countless stories from a number of reefers- his chalice & advice is alive and thriving vicariously in my tank- (obtained thru freshsalth2o)

dhuynh is offline Advanced Hobbyist
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyjay View Post
      RIP to a legend. Never met in person but have heard countless stories from a number of reefers- his chalice & advice is alive and thriving vicariously in my tank- (obtained thru freshsalth2o)

That’s beautiful!! Glad you have it. If you decide to get rid of it, please sell to me or to a local reefer that knew him please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

::: TEL: 619.ThreeZeroZero.1390
      "Great minds have purposes, others have wishes" - anonymous
      Tanks: 500, 500FW,40,FW, About PIF

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Without a doubt; & it would be given~ You’ll be one of my first calls Danny (freshsalth20 & inurmind on that list as well). All that said, no plans of even fragging~

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

Hello

I suspect I met Jasper or talked with him casually at Octopus' Garden. Can't say for sure because my mind is broken and names and faces don't stick generally. Probably something to do with paraquat poisoning or any other similar self-inflicted damage during my exuberant childhood. But enough about me.

"Jasper" is a legend in San Diego's reef history. Perhaps folk who knew him could post a picture, or share some in-depth story(s) beyond these vague references, in his honor?

I have no doubt that he was (at least) an inspirational and innovative reef guy. Please share your experiences and add just a few more details. Put the lights on with words so we can get a better glimpse of what we've lost. Thanks.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
      Hello

I suspect I met Jasper or talked with him casually at Octopus' Garden. Can't say for sure because my mind is broken and names and faces don't stick generally. Probably something to do with paraquat poisoning or any other similar self-inflicted damage during my exuberant childhood. But enough about me.

"Jasper" is a legend in San Diego's reef history. Perhaps folk who knew him could post a picture, or share some in-depth story(s) beyond these vague references, in his honor?

I have no doubt that he was (at least) an inspirational and innovative reef guy. Please share your experiences and add just a few more details. Put the lights on with words so we can get a better glimpse of what we've lost. Thanks.
      I still have the 8x10 pic of him from when we helped his family out by selling his corals at RAP after his passing.
      I kept this in my desk for a long time and every time I saw it I said that's him telling me do a WC, and test, the Big MAC!
      I just moved and it's packed somewhere, and right now I'm lockdown in LA so can't dig for it.

I will mention that after his passing, many talked about being responsible to our reefs, and families, so people know how to give and get help in the event something happens.
      I think about that at this time, and suggest people make plans or keep a list of contacts and what to do, maybe in a plastic bag inside their stands or something, who to contact, what to do w/ your stuff, how to help your family if they are stuck w/ your reef and no idea what to do.

Maybe this is a good time to update lists and info.
      It was terrible when he passed, and a lot of confusion what to do, family was stuck and their insurance took some time to help them.

Maybe this post is a good reminder and at time we may want to think about things like this.

CyberGuy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I went to his house several times and he taught me how important it is to keep Alk and Calcium level stable to keep sps and LPS healthy. At that time I was new to reefing and only had a few sps corals. He pride himself on his Calcium reactor to keep Alk and Calcium at good level and after his advice, I request for him to make me one.......and it was not cheap either LOL.

Anyway, what I remember most about him is his humbleness. He knew much more about sps than I do at that time but one thing that he did not know was red bugs. Yes, that is true, the great Jasper did not know anything about red bugs or have ever seen one.
      One day, I bought an SPS frag from him and put it in my tank without dipping because for some reason I thought that Jasper has a tank that is pest free. Those were the good old days of not doing serious dipping (at least for me). Anyway, I saw the red bugs right away on his frag after I put it in the tank. I did not take the frag out since the bugs have already been blown all over the tank by then. I called Jasper and asked him if he know that his tank has red bugs and he does not even know what those are. I ask him to drive to my office where my tank is at so he can see it for himself. He came, saw what red bugs look like, and came home and verified with me that he indeed has red bugs in his system and he thank me for letting him know. He was really humble.

I gave him part of my Interceptor pill that I got from SDGuy (Peter, another old time reefer) and told him how to use it.

I think that he was able to get rid of his red bugs.
      From this, I learned that even with his great knowledge in reefing, he was not a stuck up person but was a very friendly and humble reefer.

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I remember eating pizza at Jaspers house for an SDMAS meeting

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

I spent quite a lot of time with Jasper learning as much as I possibly could from him. I remember being at his house one time and he gave me a stag horn coral that he knew was a wild coral but it was brown for the entire time he had it. Looked healthy, except for the color. He gave it to me and said "maybe you can get some color out of it". I hadn't been reefing very long and when I asked him why he would think someone with far less experience than him could have better success with it he just said "My system is missing something that that particular coral wants. Maybe you have it." I had that coral for about three years and in that time it became bright green and grew about 6 or 8 inches. He also taught me a lot about why we shouldn't chase test numbers, especially ph. He always preached that if your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium were all where they should be, the ph level has to be correct.

Very few people knew what he did for a living. He took care of laboratory animals at the Sale Institute. In most cases these animals were critical to ground breaking research that they were doing over many years. If the animal's environment wasn't perfect many years of study and research would be at risk. I remember him telling me how much he loved what he was doing. It showed in how he took care of his reef tank. I really do miss him. He was a terrific friend.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Kcooley is offline Registered User
      My status is: Online

I am:
      Awesome

I wish I was able to get this chalice jasper was super kind and amazing person. RIP Jasper we still remember you and always will for all you have done. To those of us reefers and friends we thank you brother!

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information