• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: DJ power strip

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

DJ power strip

I had to bring home my fish and coral from my classroom due to COVID-19 and school closure. This forced me to get my 80g tank going at home which meant more reef equipment running in the garage. TYDY generously gave me a DJ power strip but cord doesn't reach outlets. Is it safe to plug a DJ power strip into an extension cord then to outlet OR dj power strip into a surge protector and then into outlet? Trying to be safe here.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah you're fine...every junction creates more potential issues but as long as the plug is in the outlet securely and not rattling around loosely (or getting splashed with water lol) you can chain together as much -in whatever way- you so choose to without too much concern

That being said streamlining things for simplicity, and removing any potential issues, is always the best bet

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It depends on the length of the extension cord and what’s on the circuit. The longer you go, the more electrical resistance will build up and with it, more heat. The same holds true for how much current is running through the circuit. You’ll likely be just fine if the power strip has a six foot cord and you added a ten foot extension cord onto it as long as you aren’t running space heaters or anything electrical intensive off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That's a very good point, about length and whatever devices are on drawing on the circuit but unless you're using a really long cord it shouldn't be an issue. Also I didn't think to mention the fact that you aren't gonna want to use those cheap little extension cords (usually $5 or less, xmas light style) then run tons of amperage through it...if you are using a surge protector to dj strip, or a thicker extension cord (think utility style) you'll be fine.

knightnsd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by inurmind View Post
      That's a very good point, about length and whatever devices are on drawing on the circuit but unless you're using a really long cord it shouldn't be an issue. Also I didn't think to mention the fact that you aren't gonna want to use those cheap little extension cords (usually $5 or less, xmas light style) then run tons of amperage through it...if you are using a surge protector to dj strip, or a thicker extension cord (think utility style) you'll be fine.
      Try to use a thick extension cord and the shortest length but in most cases you should be fine as you should not draw too much power but don't run a cheap little two line extension cord or it may get hot just like above...

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for replies. Another possible option is I found a longer cord that might fit into back of DJ power strip but not sure on compatibility. Both are 300v, VW-1 and 105°c but one is 3C18AWG and other is 3X18AWG. Thoughts?
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

And cord I found is thicker as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information