Paxis is offline Registered User
      My status is: Master Electrician USMC
      Veteran

I am:
      Awesome

Question BRS RO/DI vs Other Brands?

best free image hosting

I own the above five stage unit.
      What makes the ones from #BulkReefSupply unique?

oceanslide is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have the brs one, I think they are pretty much all the same really. just different canister colors. Im pretty sure most of the canisters are all the same internally so you may be able to use the brs filters if you wanted.

Veteran

I am:
      Awesome

This unit came with 2 year supply filter tubes.

DWILL is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

the Question is will t take chloramines out. You need at least two 1 micron carbon filters to get them out. 5 micron carbon won’t get them.

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

I use the refurbished spectrapure 90gpd unit that is around the same price as above.
      After hearing talk of chloramines, I have been looking for a 10in filter canister housing to add a second carbon block to my system.
      I do run the 99% rejection rate membrane, 0.2 zeta zorba sediment filter, .5 carbon block, super silica Di and a aqua tech 8800 set @ 80psi. Makes 5g in 55mins.
      I've meet Jeremy before and after talking too and reading reviews, there resins are said to be top notch. How so they compare to brs or other similar filters? I'd imagine they are all close to the same when used properly.
      I do want to go from a 4 stage to a six stage though due to clorimines
      Last edited by Drama D; 02-11-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Veteran

I am:
      Awesome

My thanks to all of whom given opinions!

This is the kind of information I was wanting to read about including issues I hadn't considered. My unit specs reads .0001 microns.

#$tayFishy
      Last edited by Paxis; 02-11-2020 at 11:01 AM.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Rodi

Probably more info than you want but...the thing that differentiates units are the number of containers in front of the membrane and containers after (you can always plumb in more) The ro membranes range from 97-99% contaminant removal & also rated by gallons per day (god) if you have 2 membranes, typically the waste from membrane 1 feeds the 2nd membrane and results in less waste and higher gpd. You can also improve efficiency by adding a “buddy” pump. In a typical set up, there’s a sediment filter (rated by microns) first, to redundant carbon blocks rated by micron (pref universal carbon); make sure if you have different micron ratings to put the higher one first. After carbon comes the RO membrane(s) then either combined deionization cation & anion or separate containers with each (imho gimmick) then a combined container. The main difference between full units would be the canister count and whether the canisters fit the standard sizes- sometimes under sink RO systems are compact and not standard size- from the pic, it looks like that one is standard.

Determining that filters are exhausted: membranes- know where your TDS is leaving a clean membrane-this tells you a couple things. 1) how much you are relying on DI to get down to 0 and the TDS will be obviously higher when the membrane is failing. Depending on how good you are with your prefilters, they can last a while. A tell that your membrane is exhausted is when you go thru DI quickly. Sediment filters should be changed when obviously dirty & carbon should be changed every 6mos. The best piece of advice I can give is not skimp on the carbon filters as our city does use chloramines to clean cast iron pipes.

Veteran

I am:
      Awesome

I for one certainly do appreciate you taking the time to share your comprehensive post brother.

#$tayFishy now ya' hear?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information