• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Plan a 120

simplepleasures is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Plan a 120

I am going to be starting a new tank soon and was looking for setup ideas.
      The tank is going to be a 120 - 48x24x24 in acrylic. Black back with built in over flow with one drain and two returns plumbed to the top corners via the overflow. I am planning on using my current 40 with a micron bag for my sump. The tank will have a sand bottom, soft and hard corals, and always alot of fish.
      I currently have a dual electronic 250 MH, g-1 skimmer, rio 1700, and
      2x96 pc.

So here are my questions:
      1. Should I use a single return pump and sell the 1700? and if so what pump, in sump or out of sump? How should I plumb the returns?
      2. Only use the 2x250 and sell the 2x96?
      3. Use the g-1 for now and upgrade to what skimmer later?
      4. Sell my 20gal micron sack sump?

Here is what I am leaning towards:
      One return pump. Only the 2x250 MH. Upgrade skimmer later. Use my current 40 as sump. And sell everything else.

Thanks for the input
      Simple

phishphood is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sell the skimmer when you get the chance. G3 wouldn't be bad, it's what I have and will soon be running on my 120 cube. If you don't need the $$ that badly, I'd keep the PC lighting because it's a rather fast change in light. Right now when my 400W turns off, the fish still flip out because it's dark in the room otherwise. If you're only doing 2 returns I'd suggest something along the lines of a SCWD, but they do restrict flow unless you mod them. There's a great mod on RC that ends up having 1" pvc flow through the scwd instead of the ~1/2" I think it is.

lucubrator is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you can make the space in the 40g, keep the g1, and find another skimmer as well. Maybe an aqua c ev-series. They pouportedly pull out different things from the water. You can clean them on alternate days and always be skimming, and redundancy isn't a thing idea either.
      I would also keep the 2x96, and just run actinic bulbs in them them to slightly overlap the halides. All the benefits, less cost.
      Lucubrator-
      a. A nocturnal student.
      b. One who produces lucubrations.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Screw the 250x2, pick these up from danny:
      Tek T5 (roughly 2x4')
      if you want proof of t5's ability: check out iwan's tank
      Lucubrator-
      a. A nocturnal student.

Dakota is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I say plumb the returns with one outlet and a decent ( mag 9.5) pump and run a closed loop with something a little more oompfy. If you can, drill drill drill. It will look MUCH nicer.
      Brought to you by. . .
      Eric T. Danielson

[B][U] Currently:
      50 gallon tall Freshwater Planted with[/U]:[/B]
      CO2 injection, Ph controller
      250 watt DE 10K
      Coralife 3x 9 watt UV
      [U][B]Biocube 14 reef with[/B][/U]
      10 lbs LR, skimmer
      mushrooms.... lots of mushrooms....

simplepleasures is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thank you for the replys.
      I am now thinking of keeping the 2x96's, as it is they woud do for a short time in a pinch. I am going to keep the G-1 for now and decide on another skimmer or just one larger one later.

Now after reading all the posts on external pumps I am thinking just one larger return pump with multiple returns. What do you think? I would tee the return above the tank and plumb pvc/flex to the each side of the tank with multiple outlets. Is this more energy/flow efficient or is running a return and a closed loop?

Thanks,
      Simple
      P.S. I have made a diagram and will try and uppload it if this doesn't make sense. Or try and find something a pic I saw on RC that was similar.

phishphood is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Keep the flow through your sump to a minimum. Just have a semi-decent return pump.

It would be better if most of your flow was generated through a closed loop. Not sure in terms of energy-effeciency, but as far as flow, the return + closed loop is best.

WanaLeime is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

I agree w/ Phish...Your return pump should be no more than 3x-5x the volume if the display. By doing so, it helps miniumize the micro bubbles that goes back into the display. The mistake I made when setting up my 90,was that I was too concerned about the noise of the pump...tell you the truth the VELOCITY T2 is DEAD silent, but DOES DEFINITELY ADD HEAT to the water, about 2-3 degrees difference in temp. So a reliable/decent pump for return will be best. I personally like the look if PLUMBED tanks, makes it look so much more clean. It was my first time plumbing a tank so I made a lot of trips to HD =)l. Get a hold of Vinny73 on the boards, he knows what he's doing (if your going to plumb).
      Last edited by WanaLeime; 05-21-2006 at 09:39 AM.
      [SIZE="1"][B][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12669&page=1"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]>>>C.Maximus<<<[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/SIZE]
      [SIZE="1"][B][URL="http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73332"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]>>>JCubicus<<<[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/SIZE]
      [b]
      [url=http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=384447#post384447][color="Lime"]FIVE-ZERO[/color]/[color="Yellow"]nOnE[/color]/[color="Red"]ZILCH[/color] Feedback[/url][/b]

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

In my 60, I'm using a mag 3, with ~5' of head, giving like 250gph. The majority of that goes through the skimmer. Right now I have a quiet one on a closed loop, but in terms of gph/watt the tunzes are much greater than closed loops, and they're almost equivalent to external pumps in the initital gph/$. They do make rocks to hide the pumps, and if you're creative you might be able to aquascape around it.
      Lucubrator-
      a. A nocturnal student.

dlckid is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i got a iwaki 40 that was on my old 120 if you want it. also I am going to get rid of my euro reef 12-2 for cheap. matt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information