• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Need led recommendation for new build!

jesse100g is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Need led recommendation for new build!

Hey all! I'm getting back into the hobby again and I need a little advice. I picked a 125 gallon tank. 72 x 24 x 18. I want to have the ability to be as flexible as possible in regards to what I can keep. I can drop some cash on it but dont really want to blow the farm. Lol! I would like to go strictly led. Low maintenance, cheap to run and pleasing to the eye. I have read the internet to the point where I'm seeing the same stuff over and over. Read about the black boxes, sbreef, kessil, etc etc etc. I have a 40 gallon sump I will be running with fuge. Share your thoughts, experiences, pictures, whatever ya got! Thank you all in advance!!

vinny73 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Enjoying the peace and quiet
      of owning property and space.

I am:
      Awesome

I posted under this same forum and some light was shed for me. Mostly in regards to what can be kept under what type of light. Also the brands that are better than others. It should be within the first page of reef related discussion as this is. A grain of salt with all I’ve read. Now, I’ll go check out some tanks here and see what I like. Hope that helps. Sorry, LED, I have no experience with. Every manufacturer has a niche. I may like the cheap stuff. One can only hope. But I could be wrong. What I hope to see will confirm or deny what I’ve read and be able to make a more well rounded decision. My point is, after all you have read, go see what a picture of someone’s tank actually looks like in person. Good luck with your venture.

Osidedude is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

"The best light is the one you can afford"...that comes from a long time member of this forum and he works in the lighting industry.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I did read the other post as well. I was hoping for something specific to my build since it's such long tank. Maybe someone to say, I have a similar tank and I did this. I've kept xyz successfully, etc. I haven't had much luck in the area of an actual 72" fixture. Which I figured I wouldn't. But I appreciate the comments so far.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

I still prefer the combo of T5 and LEDs.

You can usually score an ATI fixture used pretty easy for T5.

Presently I'm running giesemann T5 fixture and Reefbrite 50/50 XHO strip, and also a reefbrite lumi lite blue strip for actinic/warm up/cool down.
      The reefbrites are cool if budget allows but there are other options out there.

Sbreeflights dot com has something similar to reebrites but cheaper, I've heard good comments on them.
      Last edited by davocean; 10-10-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Excellent, thank you for the reply. I notice most pics of tanks dont have a canopy. I would like to use mine if possible. Is it just not really an option?

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by jesse100g View Post
      Excellent, thank you for the reply. I notice most pics of tanks dont have a canopy. I would like to use mine if possible. Is it just not really an option?
      It's always been my preferred option but then I'm a woodworker and build my own.
      Lately a more modern open look seems to be more popular though.
      But I'm still happy to use a canopy.

I am:
      Awesome

I did the exact same thing 10+ years ago on my tank with the root beer glass. It’s a really nice effect! And if you have an existing canopy, it can usually have that effect added.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/DSC02188.jpg

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Wow!! That's really nice! What lights are you running under that? Looks a lot like my tank.

Root beer glass? What do you mean?

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I have a 180g: 60” hybrid t5+ AI hydra 26s 2hd 2non & a hydra 52hd. I’d say it may be a bit over the top on the leds but hey, I had them. I 100% agree that my best growth has been with t5+led. I rely on the t5 for metabolic and led for aesthetic. One thing I’m going to do (on Black Friday) is swap the 60” for 3x24” (72” total) hybrids to get the full length of the tank and it will allow me to move the t5s lower over my middle section, it is covered with a glass brace.

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by jesse100g View Post
      Wow!! That's really nice! What lights are you running under that? Looks a lot like my tank.

Root beer glass? What do you mean?
      Just colored glass.
      I've been dealing w/ a place called Alpine glass for many years now, they have an insane assortment of choices of colored and stained glass(And not in Alpine but rather El Cajon)
      This is their fb page
      https://www.facebook.com/Alpine-Stai...5811359151877/

Most of my tanks were under T5 and LEDs unless they were before LEDs really came on.
      It was just an option I added after using glass on my base cabs initially to get something out of my sump lights for an added detail, and eventually I went w/ something to personalize my own tank canopy.
      Here's another I did long ago w/ glass just on base, and my pics should link to an album w/ other examples if you click on pic.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      Just colored glass.
      I've been dealing w/ a place called Alpine glass for many years now, they have an insane assortment of choices of colored and stained glass(And not in Alpine but rather El Cajon)
      This is their fb page
      https://www.facebook.com/Alpine-Stai...5811359151877/

Most of my tanks were under T5 and LEDs unless they were before LEDs really came on.
      It was just an option I added after using glass on my base cabs initially to get something out of my sump lights for an added detail, and eventually I went w/ something to personalize my own tank canopy.
      Here's another I did long ago w/ glass just on base, and my pics should link to an album w/ other examples if you click on pic.
      damn man. Hats off to you, you do some killer work and have a very creative mind. I have to say I'm absolutely impressed with your craftsmanship. I hope I can graduate to that level some day. You've also really expanded my thinking as far as possibilities go. Even with the home pics u have in there as I'm in the middle of a pretty slow remodel myself.

I am:
      Amused

Thanks man, you'll get there, just takes some practice and determination.

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      Thanks man, you'll get there, just takes some practice and determination.
      And a little creativity/thought outside the box. How old is that pic Dave?

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by vinny73 View Post
      And a little creativity/thought outside the box. How old is that pic Dave?
      That last pic was my 180g I sold when the housing bubble burst back in 06, so about 15 -16 years ago is when that one was made.
      Time has flown by!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information