• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Info needed: LED fixture recommendations

vinny73 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Enjoying the peace and quiet
      of owning property and space.

I am:
      Awesome

Info needed: LED fixture recommendations

Having been out of the game for the last 9 years, I have noticed how so many things have changed. So many new companies as well. 1 thing hasn't changed...LED fixture costs. WHAT A JOKE STILL. But, I like the effects. I am looking to illuminate a lps and sps tank. 18" deep. If I am to invest any big money, it would be for lighting. Everything else I can either build or pick up for pennies on the dollar. I have done T12 VHO, MH, and lastly did T5's. Got out just as LED's were hitting the market.

What is the best fixture?
      What is a good fixture?
      What fixtures to stay away from?
      Where is a good place to buy the above fixtures?

I have seen several of you using these tiny 6x6 fixtures over a tank. Does a single fixture like that have the wattage and coverage for a tank?

Tank is 40x40x18.

I remember that lps or fish only is like 2 watts per gallon and 4-8 for sps. Doubt that has changed.

Thanks in advance.

oceanslide is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

if you're going sps look into hybrid fixtures, led and t5, like the aqautic life fixtures, ati bulbs and either a few xr15 radions or kessil 360x, or if you'd rather led only can't go wrong with 2 radion xr30 pros for a 40'' tank
      all of the high end fixtures are going to be map priced so you can buy from any local fish store or website like marinedepot, bulk reef supply, as they'll be the same price.
      Last edited by oceanslide; 10-01-2019 at 06:09 PM.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I second everything oceanslide said. Radions are top in price and performance; kessils and AI are a little cheaper and still awesome- especially if you’re relying on t5s for the metabolic side of things and use the leds to tune aesthetics. I’ve used leds only and t5+led and prefer the hybrid. If I wasn’t growing sps, I would just have LED lighting. One piece of advice with leds is most companies have a one cluster option and then a 2 cluster that is literally 2x their 1 cluster version and almost double the price- it will give you better spread to get 2 1cluster lights vs 1 2cluster light.

vinny73 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Enjoying the peace and quiet
      of owning property and space.

I am:
      Awesome

What would be required for just fish and lps? Really don’t wanna run any T5’s. Simple and clean and as little of power used on a system as possible.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Honestly, I would just go with what we call “black boxes”. They’re cheapy 165 watt x 55 led fixtures typically sold on Amazon or ebay that share a similar layout and features but will have numerous brand names. Mars Aqua, Wills, Phlizon are some examples. They’ll also run you as little as $80 each for the most basic versions but you can get them with timers and even wifi control for under $130 each. The light coverage is around a 20” square so you’ll need two of them. For reference, I ran three of them on my 100 gallon system and they grew lps and soft corals perfectly fine. Are they the best LEDs? No, but they work and if they last even a year or two they’re more than worth it.

My settings were 20% white & 40% blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip271 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I agree with crustaceon on the black boxes. I started out with those and my corals were doing great! even SPS. then things turned south due to my water conditions and increased fish/life stock. I decided I wanted better lights so went with Orphek, I think at $700 for one fixture covering the same tank as one of the 16" black box I had been using (~$120).

Things did not really improve at all. The light looks much nicer, full spectrum, programmable and all.... but my corals didn't do any better until I got my water conditions in check. So yeah, if I knew what I know now, I'd just stay with the black box(s) and saved a bunch of $.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think the pricier LED fixtures are absolutely better at blending color and having better connectivity to tablets and whatever remote stuff you want to do with your tank. However, I don’t think they’re radically and maybe not even noticeably better at growing or coloring up coral. IMO you’re paying 100-200% extra for minimal gains in appearance and convenience. Even build quality-wise, I’ve had a mid-range led (AI prime hd) nearly catch on fire the first time I turned it on. The UV leds BURNED through the lenses at 50% intensity!!! Must’ve been an optic flaw. I went with three cheapy galaxy hydro fixtures and they were still going strong when I sold them to a fellow reefer a year later.

Philip271 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

same with my Orphek. the uv/near uv led's burnt out and I had to get from Orphek and solder them in myself.

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Gave my answer on the other thread you're following.

Also look into sbreeflights dot com for a cheaper version of the reefbright type LED strips.
      Welcome back Vinny!

P.S. you can probably trade your killer plumbing skills towards lights to someone!

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

I got a Ai 26Hd with HMS mount for sale. Let me know if your interested.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

jessegarcia28 is offline Registered User
      My status is: @work

I am:
      Sneaky

T5/led combo
      Best IMO
      I have a 4 bulb combo/AIHydra led light
      No Filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information