• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Rbta/sunburst compatibility

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Rbta/sunburst compatibility

Question to the nem experts: I’ve heard that you should not keep rbtas with sunbursts; I’m wondering if that rule goes for same tank or if they are in different tanks on the same system if chemical warfare will still occur?

Philip271 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I believe that goes for the same system since water/chemical flows through all tanks in the system. I didn't know about this when I recently added a Chicago sunburst to my tank with established Ultra Rainbows that has been in there for years. It's only been a month but so far all is well. I do run carbon so that maybe helping. But I will probably separate them into different systems sooner than later.

PatientZero is online now Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I dont understand how having different color BTAs in the same tank would make a difference

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by PatientZero; 09-23-2019 at 08:52 AM.

oceanslide is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Oh wow I had never heard of this before but just took about 10mins looking it up on reef2reef, guess you do learn something new everyday lol.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah- I didn’t know either. I had a high end sunburst of some type on the same rock as rbtas and gbtas; they were all great for a bit then one of the rbtas started to bully it into a crevasse. It would still come out for a partial day so it didn’t hit my radar right away- by the time I separated & removed the sunburst, it had trauma that it never recovered from. Figured it would be a system wide constraint & I can’t say that it wasn’t the trauma from the removal that sent my sunny-b down; it definitely took issue w/ the rbta. It was a beautiful nem & definitely a direction I want to go again but idk about 2 sumps

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So first off DJ you know my personal adage that goes across many fields that: it's all good, till it's not... but with that being said there should be no problem with housing multiple types of bubbletip nems in one system. My old nem tank had 7 different lineages of bubbletip, as well as a carpet, several maxis, a tubenem, a couple rock flowers, and the non-photo waratah nem...all of which existed in the same system pretty much harmoniously for around 2 years without problem (the only thing that I ever noticed was the rock flowers would get stung but the bubbles but they'd just move if the bubble got too close (oddly enough, branching GSP also stings the RF).

I dont have any fts with views of all the nems in one shot but here's a couple pics of different things getting along just fine. First couple shots you can see several bubbles, a rock flower and a maxi below

the waratahs would post away from all the others but no problems

Here's a couple dif nems sitting together in another system

Last one I just thought was a cool shot of a bubble eating

Though this tank has changed over the years there are still a couple different bubbles, a rock flower, three maxis and two waratahs in this system (like 6 or 7 years deep now)

...so with the first part noted, you'll probably be aight ;p

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Rbta/sb

Thanks for sharing Dan. In your experience, when nems don’t get along - does it end with separating them from touching? I can say for sure it got pushed into the rock by the rbta but what I’m not sure is if I didn’t remove the nem far enough by only putting it in another tank on the same system.

PatientZero is online now Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by inurmind View Post
      So first off DJ you know my personal adage that goes across many fields that: it's all good, till it's not... but with that being said there should be no problem with housing multiple types of bubbletip nems in one system. My old nem tank had 7 different lineages of bubbletip, as well as a carpet, several maxis, a tubenem, a couple rock flowers, and the non-photo waratah nem...all of which existed in the same system pretty much harmoniously for around 2 years without problem (the only thing that I ever noticed was the rock flowers would get stung but the bubbles but they'd just move if the bubble got too close (oddly enough, branching GSP also stings the RF).

I dont have any fts with views of all the nems in one shot but here's a couple pics of different things getting along just fine. First couple shots you can see several bubbles, a rock flower and a maxi below

the waratahs would post away from all the others but no problems

Here's a couple dif nems sitting together in another system

Last one I just thought was a cool shot of a bubble eating

Though this tank has changed over the years there are still a couple different bubbles, a rock flower, three maxis and two waratahs in this system (like 6 or 7 years deep now)

...so with the first part noted, you'll probably be aight ;p
      Ditto. I had a tank with mixed BTAs for a good while and everyone was happy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyjay View Post
      Thanks for sharing Dan. In your experience, when nems don’t get along - does it end with separating them from touching? I can say for sure it got pushed into the rock by the rbta but what I’m not sure is if I didn’t remove the nem far enough by only putting it in another tank on the same system.
      Well every situation can vary and I only have so much experience under my belt so take it with a grain of salt ;p

they should be alright in the same system as one another -I'd just keep an eye on everything if you're worried about it

Philip271 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There is a whole world of bta's as I've recently discovered. It's not so much the color variations but different lines/strains/lineages... we're talking about high end bta's selling from $1-3k each that has been tank propagated for years/decades that don't do well with each other and/or wild strains. *shrug* so when you spend that kind of $, it's just not worth the risk keeping them with more common bta's that could kill it.

putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Philip271 View Post
      There is a whole world of bta's as I've recently discovered. It's not so much the color variations but different lines/strains/lineages... we're talking about high end bta's selling from $1-3k each that has been tank propagated for years/decades that don't do well with each other and/or wild strains. *shrug* so when you spend that kind of $, it's just not worth the risk keeping them with more common bta's that could kill it.
      Very true, though I personally would have a really hard time dropping ~3k on an anemone (this hobby has changed a lot/come a long way color wise since I started reefing lol) so that being said obviously if someone is spending that kinda budget on one individual piece thay'd better be pretty certain on compatibility or at least have the time to put forward on watching and making sure there are not issues with other tankmates. I did have a couple "name brand" bubbles in my nem tank but deff not with a comma in their price tag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

These newer nems are so reef roided up that even their own family doesn’t recognize them

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information