• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. Tim's and Ammonia

Johnnymont9 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dr. Tim's and Ammonia

Good evening. I am trying to get my classroom reef tank cycled. I went the raw shrimp method, but could not get the ammonia level above .15. I purchased some Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and dosed the recommended 4 drops per gallon. After dosing twice more I am only at 1.5 ppm (give or take). I purchased the One and Only bacteria as well, but didn't want to add it until ammonia reached 2ppm. Not sure what to do now. should I add the bacteria or continue to dose the ammonium chloride until it rises. My students thank you in advance.

keepswimming is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You can add the bacteria, The nitrogen cycle will take over. You can add some fish food if you're worried about it.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks keepswimming. After adding the bacteria should I continue to dose the ammonium chloride or just let its cycle?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

No, just let it cycle and test. Within a couple of weeks you should be able to see the ammonia convert to nitrite, and then nitrate. I would recommend Salifert test kits. Although something cheaper will work for ammonia and nitrite because you will never really test them again after your tank is cycled. Nitrate might be worth it to purchase a nicer test like salifert, especially for alk and calcium if you plan on keeping corals.

Btw once you see the ammonia is completely converted, you can add fish. Just do it a couple at a time to not overwhelm the new system. You need to build a large enough bacteria population to process the waste.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Let me know when your tank is cycled, I have a couple starter Corals for your kids. I am all for education and sparking the interest of STEM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

keepswimming I appreciate your replies and generosity. Thank you! I actually have all the Salifert test kits for all the parameter readings (thanks to my school budget). I do plan on keeping some corals (love the euphyllias and zoas), fish and various other invertebrates. The tank is a JBJ65 gallon AIO with two Ocean Revive Arctic t247 lights. I am setting up a 20 gallon quarantine tank for the fish as well. Just waiting to get filtration, heating and power head from a possible donor parent (used all my school budget money on tank, ATO, lights, heater, and Icecap gyres). Thanks again I and my students appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information