• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Quarantine?

Johnnymont9 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quarantine?

Newb question. I'm sure this topic is addressed ad nauseam on the site. Where would I locate good information from the knowledgable people here on sdreefs? I know there is a ton of information online, but it is fairly overwhelming both pro and con. Wondering if I should use one for my classroom build and if so do I need two separate set-ups, one for fish and one for coral / inverts?

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I personally dip all corals before the ho into.my system but do not quarantine corals because this would require a dedicated system to observe for a while to see if it has any pests. I do however run a separate quarantine tank for fish. I mainly use cupramine. I leave it up and running unless I have a full bio load and take it down. I quarantine all new fish regardless if it came from a trusted reef that quarantines. It sucks getting ich or velvet into your display and then having to catch all fish and run fish less for the 60 window for new cystic parasites to hatch and die because they dont have a host. Unfortunately have had to do that twice. I personally would dip corals and add to display but quarantine all new fish (a lot of reefers suggest copper and prazi as quarantine regime but I have only done 30 days in copper for a long time now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Johnnymont9 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for your response Sean I appreciate it. I have plenty of room in my classroom, maybe not the funds, but I'll scrape it together so I will take your sound advice and set up a quarantine tank for fish. In regards to a coral "dip" what do you use (or is there a particular site I can find that information)? How about other inverts (shrimp, etc.) Thanks in advance.

Drew_Inna_SD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I don’t think inverts should be kept in copper they are too sensitive

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I use revive. I also do not add any water from bags to either qt or display that fish or coral come with. I have not come across a invert qt and dont do anything with them as they are all pretty finicky with parameters so I have drip acclimated all inverts but no qt. A small all in one or even a cheap petco tank with a hang on back overflow (how I have done it for years) will do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information