• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Some Tank Shots - LMK what you think!

YoungESQ is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Some Tank Shots - LMK what you think!

Been an SD Reefs member since Sept but haven't really been active. Wanted to share some progress thus far.

Any tips or wisdom for a 10G would be greatly appreciated! Getting slow noticeable growth but colors all seem to be vibrant so no complaints. No real issues other than some algae and nitrates, which from what I've read are high. Maybe just a symptom of a small tank...idk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Images dont seem to be there? I followed instructions on this link but any advice on how to get them to work would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/faq.ph...b3_attachments

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

Looks good!

acbaldwin is offline Registered User
      My status is: butt stuff

I am:
      Enraged

Right click your pic in Google Photos and copy image location. Then on SDR click the image icon above the text box and paste the URL into the field that pops up.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Last edited by YoungESQ; 04-19-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Very much appreciated for the help!

DeckSD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Friendly

If you have not done it yet , I would add a Macroalgae reactor or a refugium.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Thanks man. The fuge is definitely something I’ve been looking into recently. Just trying to figure out a small wallet friendly option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatientZero is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sweet!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PathosIV is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Welcome, Young! I joined around Sept.-Oct also. I started with a 20G and quickly got bit by the bug, swapped out the 20g for a 28 and a 10g.

Consistency is key, from what I hear. Since the 10g is so much smaller, it's more prone to changes in parameters. A 10-15% water change once a week is almost a must if you want to keep things stable. I worry about my coral more than my fish (Clarkii Clown, 2x yellowfin Damsels and an engineer goby), so I keep my water 77deg F, sg 1.025. Nitrates, nitrites and phosphates are the enemy so keep as low as possible, >.5 ppm if you can swing it.

If your 10 is open lid design, it'll evaporate much faster than a covered tank, so check to make sure it doesn't need to be topped off with fresh water every 2-3 days.

If you've made it this far though, you probably know all that by now. My 10g is almost 1 month old, my 28 is about 2, but my oldest corals are from Sep 2018. One of my biggest problems with the aquascaped tanks (20 & 28) were the difficultly cleaning around all the rocks. A cleanup crew would probably be nice for the areas you can't get to, but make sure they're reef safe. Don't get a peppermint shrimp and wonder why your acans all die while everything else is flourishing.

If you're lookimg for increased growth from your corals, you can start looking into dosing things like calcium, magnesium, strontium etc. but for a 10g, that may be more a luxury than a necessity and can be something you can put off.

I'm curious, what do you use for filtration? Right now, I'm using poly-fill from walmart and petco. $12 goes a long way. I also use carbon pellets from petco, $20 for 3 lbs or something like that will last a really long time (a good year plus when I'm changing it out every 3-4 weeks). I put them in media bags but apparently paint strainer bags from lowes or home depot are fine enough your media won't escape. (https://youtu.be/fMaOHttFkVY).

There is a variety of hang-on back breeder tanks can be turned to refugiums if you're interested in going that route ($25-$40, amazon).

Again, welcome, and let me know if you have any tricks or tips for my 10G!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Thanks Pathos. I completely understand being bitten by the bug, this is an ever expanding hobby to say the least. As far as filtration, I have plenty of LR, ditched the weird inserts that came with my AIO tank and just use carbon and filter floss that I change out very regularly; basically same as your set up. My CUC of hermits and turbo snails do their job just fine; staying away from the peppermint shrimp for now cuz I like my acans more.

Topping off and water changes are certainly part of my schedule. When it comes to dosing, I’m taking it easy on that. The regular water changes seem to keep my levels in check.

I have the AquaClear HOB filter on the way which I plan on using as a fuge to help with nitrates and phosphates. I’ll attach the thread that I will basically be copying.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=601201.

I wish I could give you some tips other than what you have mentioned, but after the thread about the fuge, I’m tapped. I can definitely let you know how the AC fuge conversion goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information