• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Stand build question

HHN is offline Registered User
      My status is: Selling - Carlsbad - 92009 -
      six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Stand build question

I am thinking of getting a 150 gallon tank and building a stand for it. The guy at SCA said I should not use 2x4s to build it and that I should glue 3/4 inch plywood together and use that as support (cut into 4 inch strips). Is that overkill? I plan to just follow all those DIY videos on the build. Any other tips?

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I built my 100g stand out of 4x4’s and 2x4’s. It ain’t going nowhere. It’s been two years and it’s just as sturdy as it was on day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The reason he is saying that is because a lot of lumber is really wet and tends to shrink some as well as bow and twist. Try to use dry lumber get it from dixieline, la Mesa lumber, etc. Also when picking lumber less knots is better (or small knots) also look st the grain if it has a bull's eye in it it's from the heart of the tree and will warp. Get the straightw grain possible. I have built all my stands 2x 180s. One with only 2x4s. Just dont forget the lateral support.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Either design will work fine.
      2x's should be sighted for straight, preferably the kiln dried, and usually a good lumber yard will have better quality lumber than the box stores, but I've built many stands out of 2x from all sources over the years.

Ply ripped properly will be more accurate, IF you know what you are doing and able to make perfect rips, but really 2x is probably easier and more forgiving for the average DIY guy.

All my stands get a 3/4" ply top which helps alleviate any minor deviations, and SCA's trimless tanks will require full bottom support, so you will need a ply top, and I'd suggest a ply bottom as well.

I can post the template for you that has been the guide many have used for a basic 2x stand frame, and I have pics of my own personal design as well which is pretty similar.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...stand+template

Last edited by davocean; 04-15-2019 at 02:01 PM.

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

All of the stands I've ever built have used 3/4 ply. I've had tanks up to 240g on them

six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thats awesome...tnx for the feedback. Ill probably go overkill on support and use the kiln dried. I am not super lumber savvy, but seems like a straightforward project.
      Feel free to add more tips!

six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      Either design will work fine.
      2x's should be sighted for straight, preferably the kiln dried, and usually a good lumber yard will have better quality lumber than the box stores, but I've built many stands out of 2x from all sources over the years.

Ply ripped properly will be more accurate, IF you know what you are doing and able to make perfect rips, but really 2x is probably easier and more forgiving for the average DIY guy.

All my stands get a 3/4" ply top which helps alleviate any minor deviations, and SCA's trimless tanks will require full bottom support, so you will need a ply top, and I'd suggest a ply bottom as well.

I can post the template for you that has been the guide many have used for a basic 2x stand frame, and I have pics of my own personal design as well which is pretty similar.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...stand+template

So for 150 gallons, should I use 2 x 6. If I did 2x6s, could I get away without a front center support? That seems to be what your link is suggesting.

I am:
      Amused

2x6 for top header/horizontal rim should be fine w/out a center vertical support.

The one in pic did not really need, it, mainly for doors to land on, and I made it removable.

2x4's for legs

If you click on the pic I'm pretty sure it takes you into my work file that shows some other cab designs as well
      Last edited by davocean; 04-15-2019 at 04:34 PM.

six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Trying to wrap my head around this.
      I would just use 2x6 for the rectangle rim that is just beneath the tank? That is what you are calling the top header? (I will put plywood between tank and top frame.)
      But then I do not need 2x6 for any of the leg supports?
      Below image is what I am working on a base idea right now. but that one has all the 2x6s doubles/tripled up at the support points.

Name:  Build idea 1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  29.6 KB

I am:
      Amused

It would actually be called a rim joist, 2x6 only on the top horizontal all the way around, front back sides.
      The rest can be 2x4.

2x4 itself would support your tank but over time it would sag, so for the top you need a stout horizontal to prevent that deflection over time.
      The rest is supported by floor or vertical supports which do not sag.

It's actually more of a pain to connect 2x6's for legs and bottom, and really does nothing for added strength, so stick w/ 2x4 everywhere else.
      My pic would be ideal just skip center support.

six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      It would actually be called a rim joist, 2x6 only on the top horizontal all the way around, front back sides.
      The rest can be 2x4.

2x4 itself would support your tank but over time it would sag, so for the top you need a stout horizontal to prevent that deflection over time.
      The rest is supported by floor or vertical supports which do not sag.

It's actually more of a pain to connect 2x6's for legs and bottom, and really does nothing for added strength, so stick w/ 2x4 everywhere else.
      My pic would be ideal just skip center support.
      I am about 2 hours into that thread. Got it...thanks for the help. Feeling much better about it...having seen the same question asked 10 times. Nice designs btw.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information