• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Mixing station

Taylor123 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Mixing station

Ok guys have a couple questions. Setting up my mixing station and would like to know when I sound add my salt to mixing container? Night before? Also what about evaporation? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey’sReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Hey man. I always thought you had to use the salt water within a few hours. LFS told me no more than a day. Others say a few days. I mix mine up and use it as soon as the salt is dissolved.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joey’sReef View Post
      Hey man. I always thought you had to use the salt water within a few hours. LFS told me no more than a day. Others say a few days. I mix mine up and use it as soon as the salt is dissolved.
      Yes I've heard the same thing. Just wondering if it's worth the Hassel to move forward with the mixing station or just mix it when I'm ready to use like you. Also like I've been doing. Thanks

OCDreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Damn! if that's the case then I've been doing it wrong for a LONG time lol. I do run a pump in my mixing bin that I leave in though in order to keep it oxygenated.

Besides that, what about the LFS that sits on 500g of mixed salt and dispenses it as people buy it? You sure the heck cant tell me they mix that everyday. People are probably buying mixed salt that's at least a week old and it hasn't killed anything yet that I know of lol.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

Lol and what is the scientific reasoning behind this? I would love to hear this one. I use Scripps water and keep it unaerated for weeks with no problem, granted it’s NSW but I’d really like to hear how the salts perciitate to the point where it degrades the mixture within a few days

OCDreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Mixing station

Lmao it's industry hype generated in the hopes that people will do more frequent water changes and therefore buy more of their salt mix. Better do that water change before your salt goes bad 🤣

But if someone out there has a different experience please let me know. I just know that my Coralife tests out the same weeks later as it did when I first mixed it... I do have to buffer up the Mag every time i make a new batch though which has gotten really annoying, so I'm trying TM Pro reef again because I was told the Mag is already high. I've heard Scripps is low in Mag these days so keep an eye on that if you're trying to keep sps.
      Last edited by OCDreef; 02-23-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Awesome. Thank you. I really like the idea of having rodi water and salt water ready in case of anything. Thank!

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah I've kept mixed water for long periods and used it without issue for years now...back when I used Scripps I kept lots in smaller jugs as well as a 55 with an air hose for weeks/sometimes months before using it all (that was also for peace of mind on anything that may have made it through the filters -and yes a LOT does) then doing another water run...but yeah you're fine as long as you use nontoxic plastic containers. I'm pretty sure there's several threads on the topic on r2r and reef central and I think brs has (or is working on) videos on the subject as well

Mine's a 50 of each, I'll throw up pics when I get a chance

OhioStreetz is offline Registered User
      My status is: Run with the best F()ck the
      rest!!!

I am:
      Sneaky

I believe everything I read!!!

I myself mix salt every time I do a water change usually I’ll add the salt in the Am when I get up and start the pump and heater letting that run for a few hours then periodically checking temp and salinity once it’s ready I’ll do the water change. I try and hold about 80 to 100 gallons of RODI at all times to mix emergency water if needed.

Here is my water station

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

No wrong answer- it’s nice to have ready mixed (ambient temp) salt on hand for an emergency or quick fix. RSCP salt does mention that you shouldn’t overmix and it could turn the water yellow but that is not related to storage. Also if you’re making large amounts of rodi it’s best to make 10-15g batches at a time as it prolongs the life of the filters (at minimum it’s purging the ro more often). So there are solid arguments for a mixing station & stowing at least some- having the capability to do a 20% water change without waiting half a day buys peace of mind.
      Last edited by dizzyjay; 02-24-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Changed a piece to promote peace

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information