• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Storm Clowns are dying - HELP!!!

bryanmc1988 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Alive...

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Black Storm Clowns are dying - HELP!!!

So I got the storm clowns about a week ago and they seem to be doing fine till today they were still a little active but not as much. I didn't think much of it and just 9pm today, one started to breathing heavily and laid on its side. I quickly scoop it up with the fish swimming away from the net a bit but caught it before it ran into the rock works. I visually examine them and see that one had something on its bottom lip while the 2nd one had its under belly inflated. (see photos below) I quickly mixed up some tank water and Iodine together and did a 10-15min dip on the fish. Their in the sump now with low flow but are on their sides. I hope they make it over night. Can someone give me some suggestions on where to go with these guys at this point my heads running in circle trying to figure out how to keep them alive.

no sure what's causing them to act this way. My tanks and other fish in the tank seem to be doing just fine.

Fish #1: Something is on its bottom chin...

Fish #2: Inflated belly...

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Possibilities

1.lymphocystis

2nd fish
      Drops or bloat
      Do they grab food from the top. Or food that's sunken? Few possibilities for the stomach.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

They eat food that floats near them in the water column. I haven’t seen them swim to the top at all. Their mostly at the bottom or middle of the tank.

Their not doing to good ATM, one is starting to pale out which is never a good sign. I took them out of the sump and placed them into a tub with the tank water, a heater, and a bubbler. I also added a few drops of Prazipro in case it was something internal. Crossing my figures that they make it over night.
      Last edited by bryanmc1988; 02-19-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Twiegs is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like it could be something internal. How’d they do overnight?
      Where did you buy the fish from?

nanoreef1 is offline Registered User
      My status is: 83Reefs

I am:
      Amused

Maybe your water chemistry out of wack?
      I think you just posted 2 weeks ago about one of your torches not doing to well? And now you fish... Maybe your water. I'm thinking.

Hopefully you get it under control. Those clown are awesome. Gl bud.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yea the torch is doing much better and opening up a lot more then it was. I don’t hunk it’s something with the water as I have 10 other fish (Tangs, Wrasse, gobies, Dragonets and pipefish) and shrimps in the tank and everything else seems to be normal and fine. I purchased these fish from D-Man, not to bash him as he is a great guy with awsome prices, this could just be a bad batch as they looked terrible when they came in. I selected two and took them home, they recovered and then a week or so later this started to happen and I had no idea it would end so badly for these little guys. For the first fish with the spot under its lip, it was a very very small spot when I got it. I assume it was just a scraper or something at first then it got this big (photoabove). As for the second fish, it looked completely normal with no issues till last night when the belly looks inflated.

Just woke up and went outside to check on them, I’m sorry to report but both the black storms did not make it. Just curious who were the other people that purchased the storms from D-Man and how are their storms doing.

Due to these events lately, it’s got me on the edge of putting this hobby on hold and parting everything out. Spent A LOT of money over the years with this tank and I understand that it’s part of the hobby but it’s money I really don’t have at the moment and I believe that money could have gone a long way with helping my family with their own situations. I’m at that 1% step to putting my hands up and walking away. I hate having to see animals die and we can’t do nothing about it, we try to figure things out and correct them but in the end it’s always a small percentage that actually make a good turn around.
      Last edited by bryanmc1988; 02-20-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Emc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Mine are doing well. one of the two I picked out was the runt of the litter

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Emc View Post
      Mine are doing well. one of the two I picked out was the runt of the litter
      That's good to hear, it just sucks that mines crapped out on me so soon without even a hint of stressed till the last min. They where doing fine that whole day and night time hit and things went south really fast.

Kris.C is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Geeky

My pair are doing fine as well, picky eaters but healthy nonetheless.

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Im sorry to hear about this. I bought a pair as well and doing well Dman has always had great prices and fish. I always quarantine any new fish for at least 30 days. Again sorry to hear about these guys.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Raptor72 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Ok, now it's starting to
      become an obsession

I am:
      Cool

Mine have been doing well also.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Black Storm Clowns are dying - HELP!!!

I think the answer here is if you’re going to put your hands up, it would probably be better to just change direction instead and go a route that imparts less risk to your finances and sanity if things do go wrong. I’ve had to move my system from apartment to apartment and each time i’ve considered just selling everything and doing a pico reef out of a 5 gallon aqueon tank. I’d even make it a challenge and give myself a $200 budget for everything, including stocking with coral. It would be a heck of a lot easier to stomach and recover from $50 worth of coral loss vs. thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      I think the answer here is if you’re going to put your hands up, it would probably be better to just change direction instead and go a route that imparts less risk to your finances and sanity if things do go wrong. I’ve had to move my system from apartment to apartment and each time i’ve considered just selling everything and doing a pico reef out of a 5 gallon aqueon tank. I’d even make it a challenge and give myself a $200 budget for everything, including stocking with coral. It would be a heck of a lot easier to stomach and recover from $50 worth of coral loss vs. thousands.

I couldn't agree with you more but the risk of things going south in a smaller tank is much higher then one of a 180g. Nonetheless, stock wise would be limited and same goes for funding. I personally don't think a "$100" coral will change in price regardless of tank size so when it comes down to stocks, there is not change.

glad that everyones storms are still in good shape. D-man is a great guy, purchased multiple fish from him before and the others have done great. Its just a mystery why these crapped out on me so soon.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

Sorry to hear. Yours are the first I’ve heard of.

Yes, they came in a lil cold and lethargic but the rest made it except the 2 out of 20 that were brought in

JohnnyK731 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by d-man View Post
      Sorry to hear. Yours are the first I’ve heard of.

Yes, they came in a lil cold and lethargic but the rest made it except the 2 out of 20 that were brought in
      Question did they come in separated into pairs already?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information