• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hip`po Tang (Dory) swimming near the water surface.

Cloud777x is offline Registered User
      My status is: "Everything is
      AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hip`po Tang (Dory) swimming near the water surface.

My hippo tang was swimming very hard on the water surface of my tank (60 gal.) and was (now dead) hyper ventilating. Mouth and eyeballs would sometimes go above the water surface. I moved it to an isolated gold fish bowl with the same tank water noticed the same issue, put it back to the main tank (same thing), so I took it out and put it back in the goldfish bowl because if it would die there I would not have to worry about looking for it later and its rotting corpse would also affect my water as well. 6 hours later it died.

Its stomach has been a little bony looking. I do leave nori seaweed for 5 hours in the tank at least and I mix up the food from bitty pellets one day and flakes another. Feeding is once a day around 7:00pm because that is when my lights turn on. It does feed here and there, just not as fast to the punch like the other fishes when food is placed in the water.

Had the hippo tang for 2 weeks now. Other fishes seems to be okay.

Phos: around 0.25 and Nitrate a little under 25ppm Salinity @ 1.027

Water activity during that night the hippo tang was having issues:

1. Fish feeding with seaweed on veggie clip.
      2. Threw in a half a block of freeze dried brine shrimp for the anemone some of it did get away around the tank though.
      3. Fed corals reefroids and some of that got is swimming around the tank as well.

Any ideas why it did what it did? And future preventive measures I can take when a fish does look stressed or having trouble breathing?
      Last edited by Cloud777x; 02-15-2019 at 09:06 AM.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What’s your stocking list look like? Any other fish “flashing” at the tang?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      What’s your stocking list look like? Any other fish “flashing” at the tang?

dwarf flame angel fish, two picasso clowns, mandarin goby, fire shrimp, pods, bristle worms, and your usual clean up crew (hermits and snails)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hip`po Tang (Dory) swimming near the water surface.

The angel and clowns are definitely aggressive fish and can be jerks to any newcomers poking around their reef. Unfortunately, the only place the new fish can escape to is the surface. Usually with clowns and angels, they’ll do their little “poof up and body shake” next to the new fish to say “Look how dominant I am” for a few days and that’s it. Pecking order established and all is well. But in other cases that show of dominance doesn’t stop and the new fish is literally stressed to death. So what can you do? When I add fish, I acclimate as normal, put them in a little plastic critter container (a few bucks at petsmart) filled with various rock & pvc tube and place it on the bottom of the tank for a few days. I sneakily feed the new fish via pipet through the slats in the lid. The dominant fish are half intimidated by the plastic construct in the tank and half agitated by the new fish which keeps them away from the container but allows them to get used to the new fish while the new fish settles in a bit. If I don’t see aggressive shaking after a few days, I feed the tank and release the new fish into the display after everyone is done eating and while the existing tribe is so full that they really don’t want to do anything about the new fish.

Last edited by crustaceon; 02-15-2019 at 11:07 AM.

AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

the fox face, flame angel and the hippo tang were put in the tank within hours. only fish that was in there before them was the lawnmower blenny. clowns were added later.

thanks for the input crustaceon.

what if the fish is filling ****ty? do i take it out and rehab it? and how would I go about doing that? i am thinking the fishbowl quarantine is good enough alone because that blue tang still died.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

FWIW, I also use cupramine and paraguard during fish acclimations. Tangs can be very susceptible to disease, especially fresh from a LFS. I can’t tell you have many people have lost yellow tangs within days of introducing them. Some people initially quarantine their fish for weeks for this reason.

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

When a fish comes up out of the water like that, and hyperventilating , it typically means a lack of oxygen in the water. What is your equipment list? Are you using a skimmer?

Also, was he your largest fish in your tank?

AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Livinlocal View Post
      When a fish comes up out of the water like that, and hyperventilating , it typically means a lack of oxygen in the water. What is your equipment list? Are you using a skimmer?

Also, was he your largest fish in your tank?
      largest fish in the tank is a fox face. I am using one koralia power head on each side, a HOB protein skimmer, and seachem tidal aqua filter rated for 55 gal. i have the aqua filter at lowest output setting to reduce splashing.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

IMO I would expect more fish to be exhibiting the same behavior if it were an oxygenation issue.

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      IMO I would expect more fish to be exhibiting the same behavior if it were an oxygenation issue.

I agree, that’s the main reason why I was asking if it was the largest fish. Being that the fox face is larger, and not affected, I’m going to go with some sort of parasite that attacks the gills.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It really seems like a need to QT issue, especially with everything added at the same time for the most part.

AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

but if you QT the fish and it dies anyways, the store will not warranty it =/. so the only difference in QT a fish straight out from the store is that the infected does not infect the rest right?

I also went to SD Reefs and James has made the same conclusion. Probably a parasitic disease..

Here is a picture of the foxface. The top half of his body although not normal looking, he eats and swim normally.

What do you guys think it is wrong with him?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud777x View Post
      but if you QT the fish and it dies anyways, the store will not warranty it =/. so the only difference in QT a fish straight out from the store is that the infected does not infect the rest right?

I also went to SD Reefs and James has made the same conclusion. Probably a parasitic disease..

Here is a picture of the foxface. The top half of his body although not normal looking, he eats and swim normally.

What do you guys think it is wrong with him?
      So the store would warranty it if it was documented to be sick in your display and then died in the tank after not receiving treatment? What store is this? Also, every fish that enters my system gets a healthy dose of cupramine during acclimation. It’s just like when you go on vacation and get sick the moment you arrive. You actually have the bug in you but it’s that additional stress of traveling that gives it a foothold. Fish stores are like the airport terminals of the pet world with people sneezing directly into your face.

AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

The fish store was Seaside Tropical Fish in Huntington Beach. I recently got an aussie gold torch that died because he did not split the two head correctly and according to another fish store he should not have sold it to me until it was fully recovered and less stressed out.

Should I take the foxface out and QT him with Cupramine right now? or do you think he should do okay over time, since hes eating and swimming fast?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If he’s cruising around the tank as normal, I would leave him be and keep him well fed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information