• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gold torch doesn't look to be doing so good...

bryanmc1988 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Alive...

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Gold torch doesn't look to be doing so good...

Purchase a gold torch a few months ago and it was doing great till recently it started losing its blue tip and retracted back a lot to the point of not opening anymore. The coral had drop about 2-3" off its placement and fallen in front of my yellow watchman golby's dart hole. My assumption is that the golby tried to do some cleaning as the coral was in its way, but I cant be 100% as I didn't see anything happen. The torch has its bottom tissue retracted pretty badly also, I cant see any tissue from my point of view.

From my parameter testing, everything looks normal. Does anyone has any idea what could be happening? The torch did open up fully a few weeks ago until now.

Tested on 1/29/19
      Salinity: 1.023 sg ( a bit low, usually at 1.025 sg)
      Temp: 77-78 F stable all day every day
      NO3: >0.25 ppm
      PO4: 0.049 ppm
      ALK: 8.1 dKH
      Cal: 450 ppm
      Mag: 1395 ppm
      PH: 8.0
      Ammonia: 0

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Last edited by bryanmc1988; 02-04-2019 at 06:16 PM.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

You running a fuge/or reactors?

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I’m running a fuge for dragon breath micro algae and reactors for carbon.

Duke4130 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Did you try dipping it for pests?

goldenchild is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I would blow off any dead tissue and dip it in some 1/4 iodine 3/4 saltwater for a couple of minutes. I have had success with this method but also your coral may already be a goner.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I haven't done a dip again after it has been in the tank but I might do one just to check.

could I dip it with coral RX for 5 mins then risen it with saltwater and redid it right after in 1/4 iodine 3/4 saltwater for a few more mins? would this be to stressful for the coral?

Photos added to main thread quality isn't great but you can kinda see what I am talking about. Also you can see my other hammer and frogspawn look to be doing great. The green torch next to the gold is starting to act similar to my gold torch.

I am:
      Tired

Any shrimp or inverts that may be harassing it?
      Light or flow change recently?
      Carbon was in use prior to coral or after?

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Gold torch doesn't look to be doing so good...

It looks pissed off to me. Kinda like how torches I’ve owned have responded after doing 20% water changes. Those same torches started off as you described and slowly stopped retracting and eventually started losing heads. Come to find out I was doing too much to my tank and gradually stressing those corals to death. It was only when I stopped doing regular water changes and running biopellets and later a turf scrubber to handle excess nutrients that those issues vanished and I started growing heads like crazy on my torch colonies. I never had an issue with extension or coloration after I made those changes. Same flow, lights and water parameters. So the question is, what’s your maintenance schedule and is it causing enough of a parameter swing to tick the coral off each time and as a result, weaken it? If it were me, I wouldn’t do anything that could cause a swing for a week or two. This includes water changes. LPS tend to be far more tolerant of increased nitrates so you probably wouldn’t see any ill-effects as a result. Your macro will probably really like it. If the torches start extending, then that’ll be your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by crustaceon; 02-04-2019 at 09:36 PM.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      Any shrimp or inverts that may be harassing it?
      Light or flow change recently?
      Carbon was in use prior to coral or after?
      I have 2 cleaned Shrimps & 2 Fire Shrimps but never seen them jump on the torches at all. They tend to be within the rock works most of the time. As for lighting and flow there has been some changes in schedule but I don’t think that was the issue. Carbon was running before the coral reacted the way it did.

As far as nitrates go, I have dose some nitrate to bring it up from less then .25 ppm to <2ppm. There is flow that has been change also to allow a little more movement but nothing dramatic where the corals are being whip by the new flow tho.

Any idea if I should pull the coral and do the coral RX dip than the iodine dip? I know the coral is stress but I’m not sure if doing this at the moment is a good idea or not. I could also more it to the sump refuge where flow is a little less but light isn’t as intense also.. any help would be great and trying not to kill my indo gold torch.

HHN is offline Registered User
      My status is: Selling - Carlsbad - 92009 -
      six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I lost my torches and a few hammers when I changed my flow. Was a pretty big change and pretty dramatic how quickl things went south...like, next day. Polyp bail out. I have saved 1 polyp where I trapped it in a "cave" I made from epoxy in a protected nook. It's still alive...but not thriving.

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmc1988 View Post
      I have 2 cleaned Shrimps & 2 Fire Shrimps but never seen them jump on the torches at all. They tend to be within the rock works most of the time. As for lighting and flow there has been some changes in schedule but I don’t think that was the issue. Carbon was running before the coral reacted the way it did.

As far as nitrates go, I have dose some nitrate to bring it up from less then .25 ppm to <2ppm. There is flow that has been change also to allow a little more movement but nothing dramatic where the corals are being whip by the new flow tho.

Any idea if I should pull the coral and do the coral RX dip than the iodine dip? I know the coral is stress but I’m not sure if doing this at the moment is a good idea or not. I could also more it to the sump refuge where flow is a little less but light isn’t as intense also.. any help would be great and trying not to kill my indo gold torch.
      if you dip a stressed coral it could finish it off no point in doing the coral rx if you plan to do the iodine it will hit the critters just as hard and also help infections 1 dip is plenty.

Flow changes minor large can affect corals in ways we wouldnt think about.. if flesh is already loose prob best to have in a light flow med light area after the dip

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmc1988 View Post

if you dip a stressed coral it could finish it off no point in doing the coral rx if you plan to do the iodine it will hit the critters just as hard and also help infections 1 dip is plenty.

Flow changes minor large can affect corals in ways we wouldnt think about.. if flesh is already loose prob best to have in a light flow med light area after the dip

goldenchild is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You need to blow off any brown jelly asap. I would only do 1 dip. Again like Mike says it may finish it off but .... it might also save it also. Good Luck!

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

I would try and delicately siphon off the brown jelly rather than blow it around your tank. That stuff seems to infect other euph. species if it lands or is in contact with them. I lost a few nice hammers when one got brown jelly and infected the ones around it.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

so the thing is it doesn't have any brown jelly coming out of it. The brown thing you see is Dino. I'll move it to a shaded area with less flow and see how it does.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information