• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Classroom Tank

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Classroom Tank

After a 3+ year hiatus from the hobby, I'm back with a nano setup in my 5th grade classroom. Purchased the 16g rimless from Ty (TYDY), who was very helpful in getting me going.

My previous tanks we're a 90g and a 150g, and both were mainly sps,so this is very new to me, having such a small tank, with mostly softies and lps. Also, not being able to stare at it everyday of the week to enjoy it and to also take notice of any sudden issues, is a bit stressful. Needless to say, I am loving it as are my students. It is so fun to see their excitement and to field their questions about the tank and inhabitants. For many of them, going up to the tank and taking it all in is the first thing they do as they enter the door.

A huge shout out to the numerous members who generously offered to donate coral, and especially the following whose donations put life in the tank: Kamil (fishfarts), Garrett (garrettm), Mike (CDM2213), Clarence (xM3TH0Dx), Derek (PatientZero), and Dan (inurmind).Thank you all for helping me put the love of our hobby into the hearts of my 33 ten year olds.

And if I was never able to meet up with you, and you'd still like to donate, I'd still love to add new colors with coral I do not have.

16g rimless aio tank
      MJ600 return pump
      2 koralia nano 240 power heads
      Tunze ato
      Lights- Started off with a Fluval LED I bought with tank from Ty. Ended buying his ecotech xr30 mount a couple weeks later thinking I could attach the fixture to it. Fluval mount used like an adhesive tape and I didn't think it was safe. I got it to work with the new mount and it looked pretty decent. Found another Fluval LED on R2R for really cheap, so have had 2 of these lights attached to xr30 until this week. With my winnings from the sdreefs fantasy football league, I purchased a used Prime HD on the forum. Two days in, and coral look much happier. Couple photos with Fluval lights and now with PrimeHD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by goody; 01-25-2019 at 07:13 PM.
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

We also added our first fish-finally! Wanted to wait until after the 2 week winter break. A pair of Black Ice clowns you can see in the background of a few photos.

150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

slicktoppomp is offline Registered User
      My status is: So you mean i can write
      anything here??

I am:
      Down

Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Looking great!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

One bad incident with the tank was the rbta Kamil donated found my power head. I was initially concerned about having one in this tank due to my lighting, but the nem seemed very happy and showed some decent growth and coloration. While out of town on my two week winter break, I was concerned to what I would come back to. Happy to say all was alive and well, but rbta had moved locations...no problem. That night, I was reading a thread on R2R about an anenome that was not looking good after going into power head, and I had a bad feeling. Sure enough, next morning I walk in and water is cloudy and my nem is in power head.

You may have seen my post in Emergency forum. I can say that Travis (livinlocal) was a tremendous help. He even offered to drive from El Cajon to Mira Mesa to bring water so I could do a WC. After many texts, photos, and instructions from Travis on how to best try and save rbta and other coral in tank, we decided I could wait a day. Unfortunately, the rbta did not make it but everything else did.

PatientZero is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Looks great, except the anomone. Thats a bummer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Update: Tank seems to be doing well except for euphyllias which appear to have "holes" in skeleton. Tested water and alk was on low side. Now that all has been stable, I'm beginning to think there is a pests causing this as there has been no improvement in skeleton and I've seen what looked like white worms extending out of holes. I am also beginning to get sps bug and purchased a Diablo milli and WD frag from Adrian (aidz415). Aso picked up an ORA red goni from AW. Also just added on Thursday a 3Dreefing diffuser to my Prime. Will try to get better shots. These were taken right after a while.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Well, schools out for the summer. Spent a few days to transfer all livestock to a Nuvo 20g I picked up on here. Lost my cleaner shrimp in the transfer, but all coral and fish survived. SPS browned out over the last few weeks of school as I got lazy with water changes. All in all, pretty happy with how the tank did being away from it every weekend and during longer holidays/vacations. Will keep it solely lps/softies next year.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information