• + Reply to Thread

Thread: CO2 Scrubbing

slicktoppomp is offline Registered User
      My status is: So you mean i can write
      anything here??

I am:
      Down

CO2 Scrubbing

So I have never considered using this method but was wondering who out there has done this. If it’s worth it or whatever. I can only see using a scrubber around the winter time. I live in Fallbrook and live in a poorly insulated granny flat. So I tend to keep the house pretty closed up when it’s cold to trap any heat we have in the house and not have any escape. Since the house is so closed up I have a decent CO2 build up going on which makes keeping my PH at a happy level difficult. It’s always hovering around 7.5-7.7. I’d like to have it higher. I tested it over a weekend while we were away and left most of my windows open and the PH jumped up to 8.0-8.1 when I got home. No sooner than us being home for a day or two it fell back down to 7.5-7.7. What’s your guys take on CO2 scrubbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I’ve never thought about CO2 buildup in a house..

If CO2 is building up that much in your house I would be more concerned about YOUR health than the aquarium’s...

Generally, if your PH is fluctuating that wildly your Alk is too low to hold it steady. I would check your alk and go from there.

ricenoodle is offline Registered User
      My status is: Cube Addict

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I used the BRS Co2 scrubber on my Nyos, without it my ph is like yours, around 7.7, with it it's around 8 constant. There's 5 people in the house so it's a necessary for me to run it 24/7.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

A way easier and cheaper method is to run a length of vinyl hose from a window (or any outdoor air source) to your skimmer’s air inlet. I had the same issue a while back and ran a hose through a nearby doggy door about six feet away. It worked like a charm and actually quieted down the skimmer a good amount.

anything here??

I am:
      Down

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaFishies View Post
      I’ve never thought about CO2 buildup in a house..

If CO2 is building up that much in your house I would be more concerned about YOUR health than the aquarium’s...

Generally, if your PH is fluctuating that wildly your Alk is too low to hold it steady. I would check your alk and go from there.
      I think the CO2 and CO build up is different. CO2 is carbon dioxide which is safer than the CO with is the carbon monoxide. The monoxide is the gas that they say you need to have a tester for. That’s the really dangerous one. My alk is steady and holds around 10-11.

anything here??

I am:
      Down

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      A way easier and cheaper method is to run a length of vinyl hose from a window (or any outdoor air source) to your skimmer’s air inlet. I had the same issue a while back and ran a hose through a nearby doggy door about six feet away. It worked like a charm and actually quieted down the skimmer a good amount.

Might have to test that. A small crack in the window won’t freeze my house necessarily so I could run airline and try that. There wasn’t any issue with your pump pulling air from a long distance like that? Would that even be a thing I guess?

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

CO2 Scrubbing

I had my skimmer drawing air through about 15’ of hose and it skimmed fine, if not actually better. A slight increase in restriction can yield better cavitation and smaller skimmer bubbles. I deliberately added a ball valve to my skimmer air line on a previous build and it does make a noticeable difference.

What you can do is get a 1/2” wooden dowel, cut it to the length of your window and trim and extra 1/2” off the end. Run your skimmer hose to the window, put the dowel on top of it, pointed vertically and close the window (provided your window slides open sideways). The gap should VaNiSH, your tank ph will increase and your granny flat will stay cozy!

Last edited by crustaceon; 01-24-2019 at 09:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information