• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Sean's 180 in wall upgrade

seanmcknew is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sean's 180 in wall upgrade

So I started a double tank upgrade and finished the 70 gallon tall build but am deciding to sell it. Here is my 180 in wall pictures to catch up. Equipment list consist of jabeo 1800 return pump, quiet one return pump (fuge return). Bubble magus 9 with neck cleaner. Aqua Euro calc reactor (installed later once tank needs it). Maxspect 130 just bought the 230 with advanced controller. 2 odyssey 500w heaters. 3 Chinese full spectrum wifi LEDs with a ATI 4 bulb t5 fixture. I am going to be running a algae scrubber fuge combo as well. Enjoy the pictures and dont hesitate to ask questions or comment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Also forgot that from my office with the big old custom built doors closed you can hear or even know there's a tank there. Still need to trim the front.

slicktoppomp is offline Registered User
      My status is: So you mean i can write
      anything here??

I am:
      Down

Very nice! Love the way in wall tanks look. I kinda wonder though. You have 2 separate return pumps running and 2 separate tanks for your skimmer and fuge. How do you have it designed so that if 1 of those pumps fails it won’t cause a flood on whichever sump the pump fails on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by slicktoppomp View Post
      Very nice! Love the way in wall tanks look. I kinda wonder though. You have 2 separate return pumps running and 2 separate tanks for your skimmer and fuge. How do you have it designed so that if 1 of those pumps fails it won’t cause a flood on whichever sump the pump fails on?

Well. That is a concern I have right now as well. Right now the main return pump feeds the fuge as well as the display. I have thought about adding a third pump on a float switch that would activate if level gets to high. I have also thought about drilling and adding a bulkhead to connect the two tanks problem with that though is fuge is lower so I have room for algae scrubber net.

anything here??

I am:
      Down

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcknew View Post
      Well. That is a concern I have right now as well. Right now the main return pump feeds the fuge as well as the display. I have thought about adding a third pump on a float switch that would activate if level gets to high. I have also thought about drilling and adding a bulkhead to connect the two tanks problem with that though is fuge is lower so I have room for algae scrubber net.

Ya I see what you mean with the height difference on the sumps. That’s a doozy for sure to figure a configuration that would work with how the placement is. I’m sure completely redesigning the filter area is the last thing you want to do. Only easyish thing I see doing would be dropping the skimmer section down to the same level as the fuge and slapping 1-2 bulkheads in between the two tanks.

Last edited by slicktoppomp; 01-20-2019 at 08:01 PM.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Here’s a thought: Your scrubber screen is ridiculously huge for your setup. I run one that’s 6” wide on my 130 gallon system and it has absolutely no problem keeping up with a heavy bioload. I also use a skimmer in the same sump and looking at your setup, I’m sure you could fit a similar sized scrubber in with the sump that contains the skimmer, which would eliminate a return pump, the other sump and the possibility of overflowing.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Anyone try this? I was thinking of plugging it in and putting my return pump on it to combat the potential of flooding through my fuge.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If it were me and knowing how electronics + this hobby have a way of failing and flooding our homes, I would go with go with something foolproof like bulkheading the two sumps together. It’s really hard for a 3/4” pvc to do anything aside from flow water through it, especially when most of the time it would be full of nothing but air until a potentially flooding even occurs. Plus, bulkheading glass tanks is fun! (Oh crap...oooohhhh crap.....ohhhhhhhhhhh crap...)

...I used to run two aqueon tanks this way. It’s a scary process but is much easier and safer if you use a good bit, use tons of water, go very light on the pressure and clear the cut very frequently.

Last edited by crustaceon; 01-22-2019 at 12:10 PM.

anything here??

I am:
      Down

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      If it were me and knowing how electronics + this hobby have a way of failing and flooding our homes, I would go with go with something foolproof like bulkheading the two sumps together. It’s really hard for a 3/4” pvc to do anything aside from flow water through it, especially when most of the time it would be full of nothing but air until a potentially flooding even occurs. Plus, bulkheading glass tanks is fun! (Oh crap...oooohhhh crap.....ohhhhhhhhhhh crap...)

...I used to run two aqueon tanks this way. It’s a scary process but is much easier and safer if you use a good bit, use tons of water, go very light on the pressure and clear the cut very frequently.

Or just pay someone who is good at it. I remember the first time I tried drilling a tank. Brand new 40 breeder down the crapper. Was so mad at myself. Tons of water but no pressure is the key. Crummy part is I had already successfully did my first hole second one cracked. Like Crustaceon said though bulkhead in between the tanks would be good.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think I’m at around 50 holes successfully drilled through glass and one unsuccessful because I didn’t realize the sheet was tempered. I still almost made it through, lol.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I can drill the tanks. I drilled my 70 gallon. I bought a nice glass bit set with the jig. I will probably drill them this weekend. I happen to have a extra 40 breeder just in case...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So yesterday rock work was done. Everything came from an established tank. I also put a couple fish in from my established tank. I still need to paint the back panel black and put my corals in place

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information