Thread: Zoa blood in the water.

Hybrid View

Cloud777x is offline Registered User
      My status is: "Everything is
      AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Unhappy Zoa blood in the water.

so... I was moving rocks around to find where the efff my peppermint shrimp was and the rock hit a zoa polyp and is bleeding. When can it be safe again to put my arm in the tank? Any steps I need to take??? I've seen horror stories about zoa blood.

Thanks.

Never found the stupid shrimp...

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Good question...Was it zoas or palys? If it's just a single polyp of either you're probably fine though it is good that you are aware of the potential dangers of palytoxin. Being careful and aware is your best leg up. Though zoas can be harmful as well, palys tend to have much higher levels of the toxin (some more than others).

Avoid contact with any open cuts, don't touch your eyes or mouth and always wash you're hands after having them in your tank, especially after handling anything including rockwork that you might not think has anything on it...there's a lotta little things in marine life that can suck to come in contact with; from palytoxin to unknown microbes to bristleworm needles (my bane -frickin hate those things) to other small things we might not be aware of but might hurt us in one way or another.

As with so many things in this life awareness is key!

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Run carbon if you're concerned a single isnt much . I have recently learned another no no I was in a rush. And while doing dips, I used my shirt to wipe my hands for a few hours I didnt replace the clothing. I took a shower after that but then next day it was a little itchy. Had a small bump that night. Rash broke out next day blistered and I have a 7inch rash about 2 inches wide. Probably a scar on my rib cage now. So lesson learned even on the skin it can cause damage and it lasted nearly a month. They can be very unforgiving and will remind you of that. Glad you are more cautious than not.

Sushiboy is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I thinh i wouuld do a 50% water change... that will take away 50% of the potency of the toxin... thats half the hazard probavilities... then i would do another one next week...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

+1 for carbon. What’s toxic for you is also their defense against tankmates so you may as well hook them up too. One of the old sayings that made sense to me after starting the hobby “pouring salt on an open wound”- saltwater is next level- who hasn’t turned a paper cut into an infected mess I’m constantly reminded that I should have worn gloves & then I do (for a bit)

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Zoa blood in the water.

Check your hands and arms for cuts or any other open wounds. If none are present, you’re probably ok TBH and I’ll bet many on this forum made the same decision with no ill effects. Every time we put our hands in the tank, it’s a roll of the dice whether we’ll get sick or not anyways from one source or another. I would of course be more wary if a large patch of palys had been squished and not just one. When in doubt and as noted, you can drop a filter bag of carbon in the tank near the intake of a powerhead, give it a day and then go for it. Then there are arm-length gloves if you’re still concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloud777x is offline Registered User
      My status is: "Everything is
      AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

thanks for all the input guys. I think I got a cut from one of the rocks? but it is not too deep. i'm not feeling any symptoms of itching though. I'm still running a bag of chemipure in the filter so that's a check mark on the list. I will do a 10gal/60gal water change tonight and another a week after. I will probably buy some arm-length gloves too to use from now on. any recommendations?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information