• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Researching our first family pup...

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Talking Researching our first family pup...

So I finally got the wife to break down and say ok to a pup!

Looking to see what other fellow reefers have had as pets,fosters,babysat and so on.

We have 2 cats already plus the tanks.
      Looking for a pup

Small to med
      Kid friendly
      Short hair(don't want insane shedding)

Being she isnt as much of an animal person as I am she isnt into spending thousands on a pup .

So let me know what pups /dogs you have had and...

Loved
      Dislike
      Recommend
      Etc...

cshplumber is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Boxer.
      Our best dog was Lucy. She was a flashy brindle boxer. She was wonderful with our daughter using her bottom lip for support when learning to walk and SO smart. She obeyed hand signals and never (yes never) had an accident in the house. She was very tolerant of a house full of animals (2 other dogs, 4 cats, 2 birds, snakes, lizards, a pond of turtles....) except for Fiona, another female of the “bully” breed. Fiona is a “Frenglish” (French + English) bulldog that doesn’t like other females. Fiona was really the trouble maker but it takes 2 to tango.
      Now the dislikes...farting! OMG! That dog could not just clear a room! There were times that we had to go outside! Quality dog food and one of those bowls that slows down their eating helped. As a puppy they are a spaz (like most puppies) and you quickly find out why they are named “Boxers” when they “box” you in the jaw. They do have some genetic health issues and that beings me to recommendations.
      I do recommend that you do some research for a breeder that keeps genetic records because they are susceptible to heart issues & cancer. Talk to a trainer instead of a breeder. Trainers have seen all kinds of dogs and know what to expect both from hands on experience as well as from the owners and a trainer may have connections for the breed you choose.

All in all, Lucy passed on about 3yrs ago at 11yrs old and she left such a hole in our family that it wasn’t until just recently that we got another one, Emma. Emma is mostly white except for a brown patch over her eye and while that was just adorable to us, it brings another recommendation. Lucy is deaf. This is very popular with females of the “bully” breeds that are predominantly white. We knew this but even though we THOUGHT we had tested her, she was picking up on the cues from her siblings. She came when called (cuz all the others did) and looked at whichever of us was making noise (cuz all the others did). Being deaf she seems to “talk” in her sleep which is hilarious. She is about 10 months old now and has gone through puppy & intermediate training learning hand signals.
      Good luck.

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

My kids first puppy was a beagle. He is still around and the best dog ever. Extremely kid friendly, loyal, gentle, obedient and alert. Great first dog imo

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by cshplumber View Post
      Boxer.
      Our best dog was Lucy. She was a flashy brindle boxer. She was wonderful with our daughter using her bottom lip for support when learning to walk and SO smart. She obeyed hand signals and never (yes never) had an accident in the house. She was very tolerant of a house full of animals (2 other dogs, 4 cats, 2 birds, snakes, lizards, a pond of turtles....) except for Fiona, another female of the “bully” breed. Fiona is a “Frenglish” (French + English) bulldog that doesn’t like other females. Fiona was really the trouble maker but it takes 2 to tango.
      Now the dislikes...farting! OMG! That dog could not just clear a room! There were times that we had to go outside! Quality dog food and one of those bowls that slows down their eating helped. As a puppy they are a spaz (like most puppies) and you quickly find out why they are named “Boxers” when they “box” you in the jaw. They do have some genetic health issues and that beings me to recommendations.
      I do recommend that you do some research for a breeder that keeps genetic records because they are susceptible to heart issues & cancer. Talk to a trainer instead of a breeder. Trainers have seen all kinds of dogs and know what to expect both from hands on experience as well as from the owners and a trainer may have connections for the breed you choose.

All in all, Lucy passed on about 3yrs ago at 11yrs old and she left such a hole in our family that it wasn’t until just recently that we got another one, Emma. Emma is mostly white except for a brown patch over her eye and while that was just adorable to us, it brings another recommendation. Lucy is deaf. This is very popular with females of the “bully” breeds that are predominantly white. We knew this but even though we THOUGHT we had tested her, she was picking up on the cues from her siblings. She came when called (cuz all the others did) and looked at whichever of us was making noise (cuz all the others did). Being deaf she seems to “talk” in her sleep which is hilarious. She is about 10 months old now and has gone through puppy & intermediate training learning hand signals.
      Good luck.
      Thank you so much. As for boxers, we had one my mom and step dad adopted. Well it was a boxer mastiff mix named Mugs/Mugsy. He was around 85 to 90 lbs. From being a puppy to an adult he was the most loving dog ever. In regards to the fart part of boxer, he would sleep on the patio by a door and when he farted it crept into the house and had people gagging. Day and night...lol
      He lived to about 12 years old and eventually formed cancerous masses around his throat, had joint issues and it was time to put him out of his pain. This dog had so much love no matter what pain he always wanted to play and be around you.😭

Around mugsy's 5th bday they got another dog from the shelter looked like a Sheppard pix mix she was a skittish and needy dog when outside but never afraid of big dogs she was they both loved to play around she kept him active during the work hours but she developed and bad habit eating rock and dirt despite being provided vitamins and minerals via vet pills recommendations. She everntusly passed away at age 8 joint issues and not sure the health issue as I had already moved out and away when it happened.

Both dogs were great with kids and both were protective when it was needed.

My cats. Though both adopted. 8yr old and 6 yr old keke is alpha lulu is punching bag that purs. I'm hoping they can get used to a new puppy around them. Idea is to have puppy in a room. Throughout the day when it is inside. So they can't interact with it only get familiarized with the scent then eventually introduce them via gate separation. Over time I would allow them to interact in a room large enough for the cats to either leave easily or walk behind something as a safety location to avoid conflict.

I'll be doing more research on what's actually the best method to do so.

Thanks again for the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Drama D View Post
      My kids first puppy was a beagle. He is still around and the best dog ever. Extremely kid friendly, loyal, gentle, obedient and alert. Great first dog imo
      How are they noise wise? Dont want a yelper when we have to go somewhere . I know some dogs tend to do bad when left alone and I don't want to put a dog in that situation. As I eventually will be gone for 8 to 19 hrs a day but hours offset by wifes schedule so they may be by themselves for 6 hrs average to 8 max a day while we work.

I plan to be home.next 5+months with kids everyday no more daycare so a pup with them.home and me free everyday would be best timing for training.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Christian is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

We bought a golden retriever in New York from an Amish farm. He is 3.5 years old and is the best dog I could ask for. The only time he has ever barked twice: when my fiancé was alone and a guy approached the door, and when a dog attacked my smaller Pomsky. He has never had an accident in the house and is very well behaved. He’s about 80 pounds and loves to sleep and cuddle with anyone. His only downside is how friendly he is with everyone he meets. He wants to be everyone’s friend, almost to a downside. He is extremely happy every time we come home, regardless of how long it’s been. Goldman are prone to lactose intolerance and hip issues. The hip issues are easily fixable with vitamins and the lactose intolerance is easily avoidable.

cshplumber is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I’ve always just let the puppies learn the hard way that the cat is not to be F’ed with. They will all occasionally lay together now if it’s cold.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Miniature schnauzer or poodle/poodle mix. They’re small and pretty good around other animals. My fiancé works at an animal hospital and we regularly foster kittens from local shelter. The dogs never had an issue with them. Now this could be due to how the breeds are as every schnauzer and poodle I’ve met have been really good dogs as far as dogs go. Their good behavior could also be attributed to very attentive owners. When it comes to having dogs, you have to realize they’ll pick up bad habits VERY easily. Usually it’s things like scrounging for food around your feet while you’re at the dinner table, but also can be more dangerous stuff like aggression. As a dog owner, you always have to be on your toes and ready to make swift corrections to their behavior if needed. I never strike my animals but In cases of aggression, have had to scruff them (cats) or put them on their side to submit to my rule (dogs). The rest of the time a simple growl keeps the kitties in line and a tap on the neck or “Hey!” snaps the dogs out of whatever they’re unnecessary focused on. These are my guidelines:

Don’t let them bark at stuff. They should only go nuts if you’re asleep and someone serious is going on or they’re running amok at the dog park.

Give them attention but don’t let them demand it from you.

Give them lots of stuff to do when you leave them alone at home.

Don’t worry if your cats put your dogs in check. Cats with an established territory in your home will always be top of the pecking order and will typically ignore a dog if it leaves them alone. If they come a-sniffin’ a cat will whap them in the nose and usually it will end there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emc is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ive had boxers my entire life. They are amazing dogs but aren’t for everyone. They can be a lot to handle for some people, and can be overwhelming for company coming over, especially older people. Obviously training matters but they are very high energy. Great with kids. Can be prone to cancers. I was in your position this past year, and we decided on a French bulldog puppy. I wanted something small, low maintenance, that still had the energy and toughness to play with my 9 year old son. They aren’t big barkers but are good security alarms. They are just as happy sitting around being lazy as they are chasing a tennis ball (ours would chase and retrieve a mini tennis ball at 9 weeks) or roughhousing. They are expensive for sure, but most of their cost comes from the breeding/birthing process since they usually require C-section deliveries

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

One thing to consider- hypoallergenic breeds not just for allergies but also they don’t shed. I have a cavalier spaniel/bichon (cavachon) & would stick with a similar mix if looking today.

I am:
      Tired

@christian yea retrievers are awesome dogs as well I was looking more into a lab based on hair length. Only other downfall is wife doesn't want full size dog. 80lbs is a bit much for the kids to be able to participate in walks if the dog decides to take off after something.

@cshplumber yea I dont want an early eye surgery for the pup right off the bat lol

@crustaceon. Thanks for the info. As far as my cats. 1 isn't going to be happy at first with a new scent and animal.
      I will have to research whatever dog I gets personality traits as to which would be most effective for proper training.

@emc a boxer is definitely a great dog for the family as I grew up with one. The frenchie is my go to bu the. Wife. Says no no on paying 4 to 10k+ for Puppy she never grew up with animals so a little harder to reason with her in pets but she has gotten used to our cats over the past 8 years. Did you find your frenchie locally, if so shoot me a pm.

@dizzyjay yea hypoallergenic dogs are an option for sure but she doesnt like some of the breeds appearances so trying to find a good median between. Size,kid friendly,looks,healthiness etc
      Last edited by CMD2213; 01-06-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

Purvis

Peruvian hairless dogs are cool, kindA like a sphinx

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Drama D View Post
      Purvis