• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead fish / replacing it

HHN is offline Registered User
      My status is: Selling - Carlsbad - 92009 -
      six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dead fish / replacing it

Unfortunately, I lost my Kole Tang yesterday. I woke up and couldn't find it, then discovered it breathing heavily at the bottom in a really inaccessible part of the tank. By the time I had read about what to do and was mislead by posts like " Tangs love to play dead", it was gone. Bummed as it was my favorite. First question: It was a really healthy fish, no signs prior to this. When I pulled it out, its belly looked a little inflated and mabye a bit pinkish. Other than that,no other signs. Any idea what might have done it in?
      Second question: I'd really love another Kole Tang, but I have a dominant Yellow Tang in there and a slighly agressive Lunare Wrasse. Is it going to be hard to add another Kole Tang. If I do it quickly, will that help with the introduction (like it was never gone, so the fish might react agressively)?
      I guess I should mention that the Wrasse has probably had/has Ich for the last two months. I eats buckets and is healthy, but every once and a while I see it flashing on the rocks and on occassion I see a white speck on it. I have never seen any signs on the other fish.
      I tested for ammonia yesterday and there was no sign. I'll do my Saturday tests now, but I am certain nitrates are close to zero (not that it matters...but I don't think I have an ammonia issue).

JohnnyK731 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dead fish / replacing it

If one fish has ich the tank has ich and prob is the reason your tang died even with out noticeable signs. Recommend treating entire system for 68 days no fish additions and then go from there. As for adding a new fish after that get a large quarantine hob box and introduce this way for a few days so the others then are used to him. Good luck. I’m sure others will comment their opinions soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by JohnnyK731; 12-22-2018 at 11:29 AM.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah, I would treat the tank and be VERY cautious when introducing a new tang when an already established & dominant yellow tang is present. I forsee a little plastic petco critter keeper zip-tied at the surface containing a nervous kole tang for a few weeks.

six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I was alway worried about Ich until most everyone that i have talked to has basically convinced me that all fish have Ich and if they are healthy and eating, it might be best to just monitor the fish. That may be rationalizing not doing the hard thing, but I am not convinced it was Ich that did him in as he/she was so healthy up till the morning. Can Ich finish a fish off that quickly with little warning? As for new fish...I foresee maybe not adding one, he was a great grazer though.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

FWIW, If I see a fish having issues whether it’s visible spots, hyperventilating or otherwise acting lethargic, I’ll immediately quarantine that fish a give at least some cupramine over a few days. This has saved me many a dragonet especially.

six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thanks for tips...I need to set up something for the future. Although this one was probably too sudden.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Better safe than sorry. Treat the system. Be kicking yourself later if you don’t.

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Sorry to hear about your fish; may want to check your nitrates as I’d agree that it probably wasn’t ich if the fish was eating yesterday. In regards to introducing a new tang- hold off to see if the root cause reveals itself first- I’ve had good luck introducing a new tang (Achilles) to a tank with an aggressive purple & blue by adding a mirror to one side of the tank. This keeps the dominant tang obsessed with their own reflection while the new tang gets the lay of the land. Eventually the fish becomes another ally the bully sees while it’s more concerned by itself. When the mirror is removed, there’s maybe some chasing but usually the new fish has a couple of planned escape routes.

six one two 401 6502

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Was going to hit you up about your achilles to see how that went. Checked everything and nitrates are as low as they have ever been (2 ppm). I actually sent in an ICP sample yesterday as I was planning on doing it at some point. Maybe it will point to something. Honestly, the more I read, the more I think it was bacterial infection. I have been battling cyano for a month now and i am nearly certain it was from the vinegar in my Kalk recipe. I am assuming that the carbon that is causing/aggravating the cyano could also stimulate bacterial growth elsewhere. Going to hold off on fish for a bit.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dead fish / replacing it

Quote Originally Posted by HHN View Post
      Thanks for tips...I need to set up something for the future. Although this one was probably too sudden.
      It doesn’t have to be too crazy either. I’ve had great success with a 5 gallon bucket, a small heater and an air stone set on low-med. I typically throw in a 2” pvc union for the fish to hide in. Maintenance is using one of the many cups I have from trips to the zoo to change a single cup of water from the bucket per day and completely siphon the bottom of leftover food/etc. with a turkey baster.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This is what I’ve used in the past for a cyano outbreak. It worked fantastic and it’s 48 program. Not weeks on end. I still say if you have thoughts your wrasse has ich then I’d treat the entire tank for it so radiate the problem and ensure from this point on there is not a chance it’s there when introducing a new fish.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information