• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LEDs or T5 fixture for SPS dominate tanks?

cboltsd is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmc1988 View Post
      that was another issue is that I don't have a par meter and I'm playing guessing games with my G4. Corals are growing at a steady pace but some acros are losing their color from what they look like before placed in my tank. their not browning or bleaching but more of a lighter color then they did, than again the corals were under T5's before LEDs so it could just be an adjustment thing but idk.

anyone with a good reliable par meter I can used to setup these lights?

from the reviews I see on BRS, the fixture has pros and cons.

pros:
      * It works and for the price you can't complain.
      * Looks good and not a DIY

Cons:
      * Has two plugs for each pair of T5 bulbs
      * If one bulb out of the pair goes out. they both go out.
      * The rubber bulb holder will melt onto the bulb after a few months of use due to the T5 heat.

I wonder if the ballast can be reconfigured to run the bulbs individually instead of in a series. As for the dual plugs for each of the T5 pairs, I can rewire them to 1 plug.
      You can rent par meters for 14 days off of Bulk reef supply or find someone who has one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bryanmc1988 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Alive...

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Anyone else agrees with crust?

I usually have Alk at around 8-10ppm but my doser was set a little high and ended up with 11.5 dKH. It seems to drop very slowly by it self... from 11.8 to 11.5 without dosing and it took about a week give or take

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by cboltsd View Post
      You can rent par meters for 14 days off of Bulk reef supply or find someone who has one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
      Wanted to see if anyone has one before I try to rent one.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmc1988 View Post
      that was another issue is that I don't have a par meter and I'm playing guessing games with my G4. Corals are growing at a steady pace but some acros are losing their color from what they look like before placed in my tank. their not browning or bleaching but more of a lighter color then they did, than again the corals were under T5's before LEDs so it could just be an adjustment thing but idk.

anyone with a good reliable par meter I can used to setup these lights?

from the reviews I see on BRS, the fixture has pros and cons.

pros:
      * It works and for the price you can't complain.
      * Looks good and not a DIY

Cons:
      * Has two plugs for each pair of T5 bulbs
      * If one bulb out of the pair goes out. they both go out.
      * The rubber bulb holder will melt onto the bulb after a few months of use due to the T5 heat.

I wonder if the ballast can be reconfigured to run the bulbs individually instead of in a series. As for the dual plugs for each of the T5 pairs, I can rewire them to 1 plug.
      If they melt onto the bulb that seems like a serious issue down the road. And yes you get what you pay for. I guess if I do set mine up it's going to be a 48in 8 bulb dimmable and 2. Xho or sbars. Can't justify the additional 1k for the LEDs to be integrated unless I find one used for dirt cheap

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What’s the difference between the ATI sunpower fixture (Silver one) and the ATI powermodule (Black one)?

Haven’t don’t any search on them so maybe someone who has own one or used one can shine in.
      Last edited by bryanmc1988; 12-20-2018 at 09:09 PM.

orangereefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

My opinion, focus on getting your tank stable and not worry so much on lighting. Your corals will do wonders with a stable tank. Have a little nitrates and po4 so your sps are not starving.

I agree with crust, slowly lower your alk in the lower 8. Once u see your sps are healthy and have good pe, then you can adjust lighting from there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by orangereefer View Post
      My opinion, focus on getting your tank stable and not worry so much on lighting. Your corals will do wonders with a stable tank. Have a little nitrates and po4 so your sps are not starving.

I agree with crust, slowly lower your alk in the lower 8. Once u see your sps are healthy and have good pe, then you can adjust lighting from there.

I understand, reason why I’m talking more about lighting is the sale are going on and I can pick one up at a discount before the sale ends tmr night. Lol so I need to make a decision on the light really really soon ��

orangereefer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If you have the money get the aquatic life fixture. You will have less shadowing with t5.

For me, I just raise my lights higher to offset the the shadows. Mine are 12" from the water line.

Those radions you have can stand on their own. Sps = stability promotes success.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So hard to decide, these T5 are not like the sun rise sun set ones so when they turn on, it’s on at full power. Damn idk lol

Livinlocal is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If your sps isn’t doing well, I would worry more about the stability and age of your system, instead of lighting. I’ve seen beautiful reefs grown under some of the worst led lighting.

And I’ve seen horrible dying reefs, with some of the most top of the line equipment.

It’s all about the stability and husbandry. I would also assume that the age of your system has a lot to do with it as well, being that you recently bleached all of your rocks, or bleached a large portion to add with your old rock.

With that being said, this topic has been asked thousands of times, and you’re going to get different opinions from everyone, because literally everyone’s system is different. what do I think would be optimum? IMO T5+led or MH+T5+led, but again, with a stable and mature system, only LEDs would work just as well, but I like the color of T5s and the fact they don’t cause shawdows.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

LEDs or T5 fixture for SPS dominate tanks?

I have a 6 bulb sunpower. No dimming, no sunrise/set. My sps is doing just fine. I’m not really sure there really is a definable benefit to light ramping as my sps doesn’t seem to care about sudden and full blast t5 lighting. I actually went from LED (3 x galaxyhydro black boxes with sb reeflight boards) to t5 and noticed an immediate improvement in polyp extension and my alk consumption went through the roof. I ran my LEDs @ 20% white, 40% blue could have just turned them up to increase par, but some of my corals were already having hot spotting issues with those fixtures. There are just way more variables when it comes to LEDs.

As far as equipment, I like to look at what’s been thoroughly tested and proven. IMO, t5s and metal halide fit that description. Just the sheer volume of new LED fixtures shows that this technology is still evolving. Stability really is #1 when it comes to this hobby and fiddling with light spectrum probably isn’t the best for coral health. If you ask someone about their tank, odds are they’ll say how nice that crazy purple banana hammock zoa looks under this or that setting. Appearance in this case is more important to them.

On a side note, I think too much emphasis is placed on lighting because it is such a visible aspect of reefing and probably moreso than what corals really need to thrive. It’s kinda funny but I have some montis on the bottom of the tank that seem happier (better PE and color) when shaded under my rockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by crustaceon; 12-20-2018 at 10:32 PM.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Livinlocal View Post
      If your sps isn’t doing well, I would worry more about the stability and age of your system, instead of lighting. I’ve seen beautiful reefs grown under some of the worst led lighting.

And I’ve seen horrible dying reefs, with some of the most top of the line equipment.

It’s all about the stability and husbandry. I would also assume that the age of your system has a lot to do with it as well, being that you recently bleached all of your rocks, or bleached a large portion to add with your old rock.

With that being said, this topic has been asked thousands of times, and you’re going to get different opinions from everyone, because literally everyone’s system is different. what do I think would be optimum? IMO T5+led or MH+T5+led, but again, with a stable and mature system, only LEDs would work just as well, but I like the color of T5s and the fact they don’t cause shawdows.
      About half the tank was new and half was from a year and a half old system. The corals are not dying, I just think they can look better then what they are currently at.

@Crustaceon
      Do you think there is any difference using the AquaticLife hybrid fixture vs the ATI fixture if both are running the same ATI bulbs 2xblue+ and 2xcoral grow+? Their going to be 48” 54w each

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I don’t think the performance is going to be radically different between the two t5 fixtures. As long as the bulbs have individual reflectors and the fixture has some sort of cooling fan, you’re good to go. I ran a $60 four bulb odyssea fixture on my tank while I completely rebuilt my ati and aside from having less PAR due to two less bulbs and a really crappy mono reflector, it worked fine. Those individual reflectors really do make a difference though.

Also, in my experience, nutrient level and alkalinity go hand in hand when it comes to coloration. One end of the spectrum is brown and the other is very pastel. The trick is finding the middle ground.

Last edited by crustaceon; 12-20-2018 at 10:48 PM.

JohnnyK731 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I’ve got this Giesemann aurora 48 t5 led hybrid of sale ...just saying! 😬

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK731 View Post
      I’ve got this Giesemann aurora 48 t5 led hybrid of sale ...just saying! 😬

I could have a totally empty tank and spend hours just looking at that fixture. THAT would be my talking point when reefers come over. Just THAT.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information