• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SPS Issues

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

SPS Issues

I would definitely target a dkh in the low 8’s for sure but only if you can get those nitrates lower, otherwise you could start having issues with nuisance algae. With your current nitrate level, you’ll probably see an improvement in coloration and coral health at around 9 dkh. Most people seem to have good results with tougher to keep sps at 8-8.3 dkh and around 2-5ppm nitrates with minimal phosphates. As noted, mix your saltwater and give it an hour or so to settle before checking salinity (use a refractometer if you have one. I’ve had hydrometers that were WAY off). I typically fill a bucket and throw in an air stone and a powerhead for a few hours to not only thoroughly mix the water, but to aerate it as well. Most important of all, let those numbers fall slowly. It could take a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by crustaceon; 12-19-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Satsujin is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      I would definitely target a dkh in the low 8’s for sure but only if you can get those nitrates lower, otherwise you could start having issues with nuisance algae. With your current nitrate level, you’ll probably see an improvement in coloration and coral health at around 9 dkh. Most people seem to have good results with tougher to keep sps at 8-8.3 dkh and around 2-5ppm nitrates with minimal phosphates. As noted, mix your saltwater and give it an hour or so to settle before checking salinity (use a refractometer if you have one. I’ve had hydrometers that were WAY off). I typically fill a bucket and throw in an air stone and a powerhead for a few hours to not only thoroughly mix the water, but to aerate it as well. Most important of all, let those numbers fall slowly. It could take a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Alright will do. And I do use a refractometer, so we are good on the salinity

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Update, I just did a test on clean saltwater after mixing the salt bucket for a good 5 minute straight and I am stillreading very high dKH, I got 11.6 dKH

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Huh, that's odd. What are you using for water? Rodi? How old are the membrane and filters? Maybe test the dkh of your water prior to mixing. Something has to be off.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by brandon0350 View Post
      Huh, that's odd. What are you using for water? Rodi? How old are the membrane and filters? Maybe test the dkh of your water prior to mixing. Something has to be off.
      Well honestly I'm not sure if its rodi or not. I'm using this Asian product that filters water for drinking, beauty stuff, etc it has a bunch of option and it has clean water option and I tested it for calc before and got 0, I'll test it for alk in a bit. It's called Kagen btw if you were wondering

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Just did the test on my freshwater and turns out it might be the cause, I'm reading 6.2 dKH

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

That would be the culprit. Looks like a pretty cool machine, don't think it has much of a use in reef tanks though

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That would be the culprit. Looks like a pretty cool machine, don't think it has much of a use in reef tanks though
      It's been giving pretty clean water, I've had close to no algae problem with it, just a bit of diatom. Now I just need to figure out how am I going to keep the dKH low using that because I don't think I can afford and install an rodi system. My family would probably kill me if I set up a rodi system lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Muriatic acid will lower the dkh of freshly mixed saltwater. I do not recommend it, and absolutely do not add it directly to the tank. I would honestly buy rodi from a water store. I get mine for .25/ gal

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Muriatic acid will lower the dkh of freshly mixed saltwater. I do not recommend it, and absolutely do not add it directly to the tank. I would honestly buy rodi from a water store. I get mine for .25/ gal
      Mmm I read a bit of the thread and it looks like a lot of work... I guess I'm stuck with high dkh for the next couple months until I get my driver's license, I don't think my grandparents would want to drive me to RG just for 5 gallon of water every week lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Get more than 5 gallons at a time? Also, not sure where you are in Oceanside, but you can get water from stores that only sell rodi. The place I go to is off the 76 and Douglas. I had the water tested with Triton icp and it came back perfect

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Get more than 5 gallons at a time? Also, not sure where you are in Oceanside, but you can get water from stores that only sell rodi. The place I go to is off the 76 and Douglas. I had the water tested with Triton icp and it came back perfect
      I would get more than 5 gallon if I had the storage for it lol and my grandma is using like all the buckets to put cold shower water in so she can water her plants later lol. And I'm like 5 mins away from RG. And what's the name of the place that you mentioned?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Water Zone
      3915 mission
      Oceanside

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I would try to figure it out a way to get rodi ASAP. If you're using water with any alkalinity in it for evaporation top off, your parameters are always going to be jumping around. You could use 5g salt buckets, 1g milk or water jugs, etc..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information