• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this a reef safe epoxy?

bryanmc1988 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Alive...

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Is this a reef safe epoxy?

I wanted to know if this product is a reef safe epoxy that can be used for a reef tank. My sump has a hole and I’m trying to patch it up with epoxy and wanted to make a layer instead of glueing a sheet of acrylic on it. Any thoughts?

Here is the product from Home Depot:

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

No, that is not going to work, unless you are going to make a bar top?

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Is the hole an already drilled one, like for a bulkhead or similar or did it just pop up. If it’s drilled, a bulkhead and a pvc plug would be a good fix. If not and the hole is small and irregular, I would use a drill bit to make it concentric, pick up an acrylic rod from eplastics near the 52 freeway that matches the size and a bottle of weld-on #3 w/applicator. Stick the rod in the hole...doh!! and run a bead of weld-on around the rod. Trim when it dries and call it good.

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

Weld a square piece of acrylic inside the sump, the cutting a hole sounds like a good idea as well. If going that route, be sure to sand it good

I am:
      Piratey

Why not just send it back and wait for them to be back in stock, it was after all damaged in shipping

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It’s not a drilled hole. Bought a sump and it got shipped to me and was damaged. Looks like someone got to excited about their dolly and kicked it into the sump box and made a hole in the bottom of it. Anyone knows a good epoxy resin that is reef safe and that I can pick up locally? I patched the whole with white sculpting putty and wanted to fill the inside with about 1/4 to 1/2” of expoy resin besides an acrylic sheet. Reason is the putty sticks up a bit and welding an acrylic down might not give a full seal with a slight bump from the putty.

Last edited by bryanmc1988; 12-02-2018 at 08:26 PM.

oceanslide is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Where did you buy it from? You should be able to get a replacement one.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmc1988 View Post
      It’s not a drilled hole. Bought a sump and it got shipped to me and was damaged. Looks like someone got to excited about their dolly and kicked it into the sump box and made a hole in the bottom of it. Anyone knows a good epoxy resin that is reef safe and that I can pick up locally? I patched the whole with white sculpting putty and wanted to fill the inside with about 1/4 to 1/2” of expoy resin besides an acrylic sheet. Reason is the putty sticks up a bit and welding an acrylic down might not give a full seal with a slight bump from the putty.

bummer man but i wouldnt trust that. you need to use a piece of acrylic and the acrylic glue, weld on, to bond the pieces together permanently.

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Unfortunately they can’t replace it as it’s a discounted product. I took the “small” discount I order to keep the tank and not have to deal with shipping it back. For this reason I am trying to heal the damage with my magical power.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmc1988 View Post
      Unfortunately they can’t replace it as it’s a discounted product. I took the “small” discount I order to keep the tank and not have to deal with shipping it back. For this reason I am trying to heal the damage with my magical power.
      oh man that sucks but dont use any putty or epoxy do what crustaceon or drama said to do, acrylic is very easy to work with, tons of youtube videos to see how to do it

I am:
      Piratey

Looks like it's on the drain side but close to the baffle. Seems to big to just fill with some weldon 16 but maybe possibly if you use an entire tube or 2. Maybe duct tape some wax paper really good on the bottom then fill with the weldon16. No guarantees that it wont leak through. It is really thick like CA glue

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I already started the putty move a few hours ago. If needed, I have already cut an acrylic sheet to fill in that whole area (4”x15.5”) I did plan on using weld on 3 to glue the acrylic down then filling the gaps with epoxy to give it that nice clean look. But figured that the weld on and acrylic sheet might not be the best ideas as the putty is not 100% flush with the original sump base. For this reason I wanted to pour epoxy resin into this are as it will self level and give a full seal from the bottom along with a hardness.

Why is the epoxy listed above won’t work? Epoxy is epoxy right? It’s waterproof and once fully cure, it’s hard as a rock... any ideas?

Also, anyone near 92115 area with some Weld On 3 I can barrow to seal the acrylic sheet down if needed? I ran out and placed an order on amazon but won’t be here till the 12 of dec.
      Last edited by bryanmc1988; 12-02-2018 at 08:58 PM.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Is this a reef safe epoxy?

I would be happy to cut you a 2” - 2 1/2” circle out of 1/4” acrylic and give you an applicator with enough weld-on #3 to get the job done. At least a circle would make it look like it had some sort of design purpose, even if it wasn’t intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by crustaceon; 12-02-2018 at 09:36 PM.

I am:
      Piratey

^^^ pretty sweet and generous offer. Way cool my dude!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      I would be happy to cut you a 2” circle out of 1/4” acrylic and give you an applicator with enough weld-on #3 to get the job done. At least a circle would make it look like it had some sort of design purpose, even if it wasn’t intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Where are you located at crustaceon? I won’t need the acrylic circle but that weld on 3 would help me finish the repairs tho. I have an applicator that I can bring with me. It’s not big but should be more then enough to get the job done.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information