• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Plumbing

Satsujin is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Plumbing

Alright so I was thinking of adding a 20 gallon high tank to my 29 gallon reef tank as a refugium/sea horse display. But I'm not quite sure how to plumb those two tank together. Let me know what you guys think I should do

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

cshplumber is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

FWIW. I’ve always heard that seahorses should not be kept with fish as most ponies should be housed in much cooler waters and are easily susceptible to diseases that can be carried by fish.
      That being said, it’s not too hard to connect multiple tanks if you’re using a sump but if that HOB filter is all you have then you might be out of luck. Sure, there are ways that they could be connected as pump from one to the other and siphon back or drill tanks and plumb together but that’s not very practical.
      Last edited by cshplumber; 12-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You can use two siphon overflows that dump into into a common sump. I would use two small pumps to feed the tank as it’s tricky to balance flow to multiple tanks using a single pump on common plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Mmmm you are right. But it's kinda tempting, my lfs got a pair a month or two ago and they seem to be doing fine, which was why I was thinking of doing the sea horse tank, but also forgot that they are easily susceptible to diseases :/ I'd still like to see what people think I should do in term of plumbing

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crustaceon View Post
      You can use two siphon overflows that dump into into a common sump. I would use two small pumps to feed the tank as it’s tricky to balance flow to multiple tanks using a single pump on common plumbing.

One downside to that is that I'm not allowed to get anymore tanks lol cant really get a sump, unless I use the 20 tall lol

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Do the two tanks need to be on the same level, or can one be slightly lower? (say by 2”)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaFishies View Post
      Do the two tanks need to be on the same level, or can one be slightly lower? (say by 2”)
      I could try to raise the 20 tall since it's empty

crustaceon is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Bi-level aquarium stand, lol. Put the 20 under the 29 and use it as a “seahorse sump”. The 29 would have the siphon overflow to drain into the 20 and the 20 would house the return pump to feed the 29.

cshplumber is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Ponies also require lots of feedings or a very well established system with plenty of pods for them to constantly graze on. The 2 at Reefers are awesome and I’m sure Louis would give you a great deal on them since he has had them for so long but they aren’t really an “impulse buy” type of animal.
      Set up the other tank as a display fuge. The way they sit on the table right now is enough of a height difference to allow the 29 to siphon into the 20 via a couple of “candy canes” (I say a couple because this is kind of sketchy and it’s good to have a back up) and then have a small pump return water to the 29. Fill it with decorative macro and stock it up with some different pods to grow in there. It would be a beneficial addition to your existing system and I’ve seen some beautiful display refugiums but ponies really should have a dedicated and isolated system.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by cshplumber View Post
      Ponies also require lots of feedings or a very well established system with plenty of pods for them to constantly graze on. The 2 at Reefers are awesome and I’m sure Louis would give you a great deal on them since he has had them for so long but they aren’t really an “impulse buy” type of animal.
      Set up the other tank as a display fuge. The way they sit on the table right now is enough of a height difference to allow the 29 to siphon into the 20 via a couple of “candy canes” (I say a couple because this is kind of sketchy and it’s good to have a back up) and then have a small pump return water to the 29. Fill it with decorative macro and stock it up with some different pods to grow in there. It would be a beneficial addition to your existing system and I’ve seen some beautiful display refugiums but ponies really should have a dedicated and isolated system.
      Yeah I am aware of that, which is why they aren't in my tank yet lol. I'm still doing research on them, but I was just curious on what's the best way to plumb the two tanks together. If it really turns out like I cant get those sea horses, then I'm probably going to do a nano predator refugium tank with a golden dwarf eel and waspfish

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information