• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Test results

Alex-gman is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Test results

Hey guys finally tested my newly 50g tank for alk,cal, mg. What parameters do you guys keep your tank at? At what parameters should I keep my tank at to have my corals thrive at?

My results by using Red Sea foundation kit

Alkalinity (dkh) - 9.8
      Magnesium (ppm) - 1520
      Calcium (ppm) - 395

Any imput is welcome thanks

davocean is online now Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

That's all pretty good, alk is good and most important for that is not having swings more than the actual number, but that's good range.

Your mag is slightly high, 1350 is NSW, but no big deal, it will drop on it's own most likely, and the elevated level does no harm at that level.

Your Cal is pretty good, some might bump that slightly over 400, but it's fine

Red sea kits are ok, Salifert is more accurate though, I'd switch to that when it's time for new kits

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      That's all pretty good, alk is good and most important for that is not having swings more than the actual number, but that's good range.

Your mag is slightly high, 1350 is NSW, but no big deal, it will drop on it's own most likely, and the elevated level does no harm at that level.

Your Cal is pretty good, some might bump that slightly over 400, but it's fine

Red sea kits are ok, Salifert is more accurate though, I'd switch to that when it's time for new kits

Awesome thanks for the response, as soon as I run out I’ll be switching over to salifert test kits. I wanna start adding coral slowly but my question is will the corals absorb the magnesium and calcium ?

davocean is online now Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

Neither will be an issue and corals will be fine, anything that absorbs CA will do so and that is not limited to coral, halmedia for example will absorb CA, so we typically dose or run a reactor to keep CA up.

Mag at that level won't affect anything, many of us have elevated mag on purpose much higher to help rid bryopsis, it typically drops on it's own or adjusts w/ WC's, you may need to dose mag as well at some point.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by davocean View Post
      Neither will be an issue and corals will be fine, anything that absorbs CA will do so and that is not limited to coral, halmedia for example will absorb CA, so we typically dose or run a reactor to keep CA up.

Mag at that level won't affect anything, many of us have elevated mag on purpose much higher to help rid bryopsis, it typically drops on it's own or adjusts w/ WC's, you may need to dose mag as well at some point.

Awesome thanks brotha now time for some corals

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information