• Happy
  • Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New to the hobby and already having problems.

Threaded View

Cloud777x is offline Registered User
      My status is: "Everything is
      AWESOME"

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Unhappy New to the hobby and already having problems.

Hello all , I believe this is the part of the forum where I also ask for help?

Maybe have a beer or coffee while reading, this is a in depth topic.

So... I was given this 60 gal. saltwater aquarium from a friend because he can no longer spare time maintain the tank.

Beginning set up.
      - Kept existing water, live rock, and sand.
      - Came with a aquarium water filter that was double in length than you typical one. It had 3 stages from bottom (sponge), rocks, and the top 2 carbon filters side by side.
      - Water heater
      - Finnex 24/7 planted led aquairum light
      - 1 big power head (produce water waves) and 1 small power head on the opposite side.

Existing set up now.
      - More live rock
      - Using same sand
      - Replaced Finnex 24/7 planted led aquairum light with 1 mars aquamax led and vipar spectra led. Blues are at 70% intensity and whites are 25% intensity. Blue comes on first followed by white, then white comes off, and lastly the blues.
      - Added an additional water filter (removed filter elements because sd coral says saltwater aquariums does not really need to be filtered since I have lived rock).
      - Removed the filters off the other aquarium water filter because of the same reason above.
      - Same power wave heads.
      - Aqua Max HOB 1.5 protein skimmer.

Current live stock besides the rocks and algae.
      - 2 clown fishes
      - 2 cardinal zebra fish
      - 1 blue damsel
      - 1 mandarin goby
      - 1 diamond goby
      - 1 chromi
      - 2 cleaner shrimp
      - 1 fire shrimp
      - 2 star fishes
      - ~14 hermit crabs
      - ~10 nassarius snails
      - ~7 random snails

--The Story--

When moved to my home.
      - Did 2 water changes within the week (5 gal. 1 day and another 5 gal. 3 days later) while siphoning from the top surface of the sand and the surface of the live rock wherever I saw algae (could not siphon all algae off the rocks). NITRATE levels were max on the API 5 in 1 test strips. Nitride was on the lower end. Bought a Aquamax HOB 1.5 hang on the side protein skimmer.
      - Week 2, 10 gal. sand surface water change. Bought more snails and hermit crabs thinking they would help lower the nitrate. Also bought an Aqua flow 70 aquarium water filter with the thought of filtering more NITRATES out (which did not seem to help). Added more live rock.
      - Week 4, 20 gal. top water surface change (friend said most of the dirty water floats on the surface of the water and not on the bottom. Installed two aquarium led lights (mars aqua max and vipar spectra) for algae reduction and coral growth. Bought more live rock to help reduce nitrates and 10 more Nassarius Snails and a starfish. NITRATE LEVELS ARE STILL HIGH -_-. The corals that came with the live rock are doing okay somehow (must be because of the lighting).

Reef Community P-L-E-A-S-E H-E-L-P

Phosphate reading of 0.5 as of last night after more live rock was introduced.

Nitrate reading of 80-160 as of last night after more live rock was introduced.
      Last edited by Cloud777x; 10-05-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Information