• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Where do you see reef keeping as a hobby 10yr from now?

dizzyjay is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Where do you see reef keeping as a hobby 10yr from now?

The question is simple... or is it? Where do you see reef keeping as a hobby 10 years from now? How do you see conservation efforts helping or hindering the advancement? How do you see technology helping or hindering the advancement?

PatientZero is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I don't think conservation will help the hobby due solely to perception and not fact. The amount of coral that are harvested is small compared to what dies in the bleaching events and due to pollution. I doubt legislators understand how much effort is put into aqua- and mari-culture.

Interesting fact: There are more tigers in captivity in the US (where they are not indigenous) than the wild (all the wild).

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Do you think we will have the same fact regarding coral? More grown in captivity than in the ocean. If we keep coral only where it's indigenous, it runs a high risk of extinction.

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

I don't believe coral will go extinct, but if it does it will be because somebody tries to manage the reef to preserve it.

As far as pets are concerned, there has been an idea kicked around for while that pet ownership is the same as slavery, and should be abolished. If that continues to get traction, I think wild reef collection will be be made illegal worldwide.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
      I don't believe coral will go extinct, but if it does it will be because somebody tries to manage the reef to preserve it.

As far as pets are concerned, there has been an idea kicked around for while that pet ownership is the same as slavery, and should be abolished. If that continues to get traction, I think wild reef collection will be be made illegal worldwide.

If collections were ever banned the hobby itself would be severely impacted. The loss of hobbiest,colectors,vendors etc would dissipate due to the insane price hikes that would occur. Xenia and kenya tree would cost 100 bucks. People would start collecting aiptasia and red bugs lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What sparked the question is that, on one hand, innovation is making successful reef keeping more accessible. I imagine most of us can’t wait for trident or the likes. Roller mats are soon to replace my socks (Klir for the win), algae scrubbers look to be a nice fuge replacement, triton even makes water changes a thing of the past. ULM tanks are absolutely achievable. On the other hand, collection halted in major parts, warming oceans, pollution and some conservation efforts are all making it more difficult. You can tell the difference even now at local fish stores.... live rock is dwindling and, maybe it’s just me, coral choices seem more reliant on what is being propagated locally. I see the hobby going both directions. Let’s face it, reef keeping is a luxury but I’ve always thought of myself as a champion of nature’s most perfect symbiotic relationship. Now I’m not too sure I’m not some dbag with a tank and all the while I think of coral being allowed to die in place under the guise of conservation. It’s likely that the mutation required for coral to withstand warmer water temperature is going to be found in a closed system where they get put thru harsh conditions. So I’m both excited & concerned for the future of this hobby.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information