• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

IreneD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

What am I doing wrong?

I posted an update not too long ago as I had just been running my 7g rimless cube and 20g tall with not much action other than doing weekly water changes and adding a clean up crew (hadn't been able to focus on the tanks like I wanted).

Both tanks have been running for 5 mo now with consistent weekly water changes but I'm still losing snails every few weeks and keep seeing brown stuff on the glass weekly.

I had my water checked and everything was fine. The 7g is having the most trouble, I increased the amount of water that i was changing to see if that would help.

Is it the recent hot weather? I put the temp on the heaters down after I noticed the temp above 80 (when it got really hot recently, even though my heaters were not set that high). Is my light cycle too long? They're running 7-7.

I want to add coral soon to the 7g, if it's looking like this (see pics) will I have trouble? One pic is trying to show the stuff on the glass (I cleaned the top half of the right side to show the difference but it was hard to capture in a picture). Should I be doing something different?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Cyano=lack of flow
      Also do you dose or add anything like pellets or food for the hermits to eat?
      What equipment is on the tank or tanks that are losing hermits?
      I set my 7g up in 2 weeks you can see my thread.
      And no loses. Past month hermits snails etc all good corals growing.
      I also do weekly water changes 1-1.5g on 7g
      Run a uv,carbon reactor, 1 240gph hydor and the return I lowered the output of my LEDs to avoid algae growth.
      Have you tested your water parameters lately?

newellio is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Have you tested phosphates.

Joey’sReef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

To me that doesn’t look that bad. But maybe you’re lighting schedule? If you’re at full blast for 12 hours then u will have some algae growth. Mine ramp up and down. I’m at full brightness for only 6 hours a day.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by CMD2213 View Post
      Cyano=lack of flow
      Also do you dose or add anything like pellets or food for the hermits to eat?
      What equipment is on the tank or tanks that are losing hermits?
      I set my 7g up in 2 weeks you can see my thread.
      And no loses. Past month hermits snails etc all good corals growing.
      I also do weekly water changes 1-1.5g on 7g
      Run a uv,carbon reactor, 1 240gph hydor and the return I lowered the output of my LEDs to avoid algae growth.
      Have you tested your water parameters lately?
      I only have snails, no hermits. I'm running an AquaClear 20 and a Hydor Koralia 240 in the 7g. That should be plenty of flow and it looks like my water changes are the same as yours. I guess I'll try changing the light cycle.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by newellio View Post
      Have you tested phosphates.
      I took water to get tested at my LFS and everything looked fine. I'm using water from Scripps.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by Joey’sReef View Post
      To me that doesn’t look that bad. But maybe you’re lighting schedule? If you’re at full blast for 12 hours then u will have some algae growth. Mine ramp up and down. I’m at full brightness for only 6 hours a day.
      Thank you I'll look into my light schedule. Unfortunately the brightness is manually manipulated so if I'm not home the lighting can't be dimmed :/

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

there is not enough food in the tank for the snails. Assuming your rodi is good, that's about all it could be.
      Cyano, ditoms, brown slime algaes on the glass are normal in a new tank and itll phase out eventually. the most common cause of them in a new tank is No3, as its part of the constant cycle. po4 rarely unless its old rock. Cyano likes both no3 and co2. Cyano can use the new aragonite (as it buffers more when new and is also dissolving slightly in the new PH) as a carbon source. Brown could also be ditoms. the arganite dissolves and softer minerals are released. Silicate being one of them

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post
      there is not enough food in the tank for the snails. Assuming your rodi is good, that's about all it could be.
      Cyano, ditoms, brown slime algaes on the glass are normal in a new tank and itll phase out eventually. the most common cause of them in a new tank is No3, as its part of the constant cycle. po4 rarely unless its old rock. Cyano likes both no3 and co2. Cyano can use the new aragonite (as it buffers more when new and is also dissolving slightly in the new PH) as a carbon source. Brown could also be ditoms. the arganite dissolves and softer minerals are released. Silicate being one of them
      I'll have to do more research on how to keep my snails happy. Thank you for the info.

Although I can Google many of the terms that were shared I wasn't clear if based on that info, is it then normal to see what I'm seeing in the tank or I should do something different other than testing my water again and maintaining water changes? I read that it'll phase out eventually but can I help the process? I am using old rock from another member who had it in a bucket for a few weeks.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

in my opinion, if you had high nitrates and phosphates you would have a lot more problems with green algae's. and very happy snails.

Do make sure your top off water is rodi. Most of the stuff from our tap water system is actually enough to kill goldfish. At 2 TDS from my RODI i had problem's.

Yours really looks like new tank problems to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information