• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Fighting low ph

Ericp_crash is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Fighting low ph

So over the course of the summer I’ve been dealing with a low ph situation in the tank. Cant seem to get it stable above 7.8. I have all the rest of my parameters well in order but the ph just won’t come up. So while doing research I come to find out that it’s common to have to run the skimmer intake line outside to fresh air to lower the concentration of co2. So last night after the days heat went away I opened all the windows and turned on a couple fans. Took a ph reading on the tank this morning well before the lights cam on and ph was at 8.17, right where it should be for that time of day. So here’s where I was hoping you guys could help. Instead of just running the intake line outside to get fresh air I too would enjoy some fresh air. So I’m looking into installing a hrv system on the condo but want to know if it’s worth it. Was wondering if anyone had a co2 reader I could borrow to get a idea of the homes current air quality. Would only need it for a day or two. Thanks in advance for your help.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Here's something I found
      Causes of low ph...

1.A calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactor (CaCO3/CO2 reactor) is in use on the aquarium.

2.The aquarium has low alkalinity.

3.The aquarium has more CO2 in it than the surrounding air due to inadequate aeration. Don't be fooled into thinking that an aquarium must have adequate aeration because its water is very turbulent. Equilibrating carbon dioxide is MUCH harder than simply providing adequate oxygen. There would be NO change in the pH between day and night if equilibration of carbon dioxide were perfect. Since most aquaria have lower pH during the night, they also are demonstrating less than complete aeration.

4.The aquarium has excess CO2 in it because the air in the home that it is being equilibrated with contains excess CO2.

5.The aquarium is still cycling, and has excess acid being produced from the nitrogen cycle and degradation of organics to CO2.
      Last edited by CMD2213; 08-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Ericp_crash is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yeah I read that whole post by Randy last night. Hence why I went the route I did thanks for the info though

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information