• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calcium reactor questions

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

Calcium reactor questions

I have a few questions regarding a calcium reactor set up and equipment. I'm sure I'll have others down the road, so I figured I'd make a thread that may possibly help others as well as myself.

1st question has to do with the water line feeding the reactor.
      I do not have a inline manifold on my return. The water line that feeds my reactor is 1/4" mur-loc tubing. I would like to run an individual water pump to feed the cal reactor.
      After looking all over, all I have found info wise is hobbiest running some sort of peralistic dosing pump to feed there reactor. I also seen a quick mention of an individual water pump being able to be used with cal reactors in 52 weeks of reefing videos, but no mention of what pumps or required flow rates.
      What individual water pumps can I use and convert the output to 1/4" mur-loc output?
      Is using a dosing style pump better?
      How much flow is required to feed the reactor?

2nd question, media.
      Before using media in the reactor, rinsing is required. Is tap water okay to rinse the media or should I use tank water from water change? Or would it be okay to rinse in tap, then again after in tank water. I'm just concerned about chlorine from the tap water jacking up the media. I'm guessing ro/di is okay as well but I dont want to have to make 10g just to waste it on rinsing media.

3rd question.
      Kalkwasser in ato to keep ph elevated between 7.8 and 8.3<-- preferred, during use of a calcium reactor. Is this required? If running a ph controller, is this even necessary? Can anyone comment on this, help me understand it a bit more.

If these are all stupid questions, my apologies in advance. I have never run a calcium reactor before. I have been reading up and wanting one for a while now, just was not sure if my system was even big enough to consider one over simple dosing.
      Well I picked one up at a great price, extra equipment needed is on order and I would like to set this up instead of letting it sit in a box. I hope hobbiest with calcium reactors can chime in and help me out with my noob questions to allow me to set one up successfully. Thanks everyone.

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

1. I would highly recommend a peristaltic pump. It makes tuning so much easier. Kamoer just released the fx-stp. If I switch back to a ca rx, I'll be using that one

2. I would use RODI. Tank water would work as well. I wouldn't use tap water.

3. A calcium reactor will normally lower your tank pH. From what I've read, the vertex unit you picked up should do a pretty good job of using most of the c02 in the effluent before it enters the tank. A refugium, or powerheads aimed at the water surface will help combat lower pH if you don't want to dose kalk.

I'm at work right now, if you wanna call me tomorrow I can try and answer and questions you have more in depth

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks Brandon, I appreciate the info.

I just looked it up, will this have enough flow for the reactor? How would this unit compare to say a ghl dosing pump, hehehe I have one, this is why I ask. I'm guessing the ghl is not.for constant dose/flow where the kamoer is? I'm not trying to cheap out lol
      Last edited by Drama D; 08-11-2018 at 05:32 PM.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

Just gunna tag along for future reference

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Drama D View Post
      Thanks Brandon, I appreciate the info.

I just looked it up, will this have enough flow for the reactor? How would this unit compare to say a ghl dosing pump, hehehe I have one, this is why I ask. I'm guessing the ghl is not.for constant dose/flow where the kamoer is? I'm not trying to cheap out lol
      The kamoer would be perfect. It's basically the equivalent of a masterflex peristaltic pump but for hobby use. It's made specifically for calcium reactors. If you're talking about the ghl doser 2 than no, that's not meant to be run continuously. If you have the ghl maxi pump, I believe that would work

I am:
      Piratey

So, basically one line would go into the sump and the other to the water feed line on the reactor, no pump needed and I am assuming this unit stays on in a constant dose. Is there any programming required and is this apex ready?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

So, basically one line would go into the sump and the other to the water feed line on the reactor, no pump needed and I am assuming this unit stays on in a constant dose. Is there any programming required and is this apex ready?
      It's a stand alone pump. Most people pull water through the reactor when running a peristaltic pump

https://youtu.be/pmHkUqUJ6hk

I am:
      Piratey

Awesome, just watched the video. Looks like what I need! Lol want! I need to look in the ca reactor manual if it requires an "x" amount of flow. Looks like this pump runs 50mls to 120ml hour and the tubing last around 2000 hours, seems like a simple replacement but needing it changed 4-5 times a year @ 9000 hours a year Hehehe just looking at cost to maintain as well, not that I have a clue lol. I'm going to need another power bar!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Awesome, just watched the video. Looks like what I need! Lol want! I need to look in the ca reactor manual if it requires an "x" amount of flow. Looks like this pump runs 50mls to 120ml hour and the tubing last around 2000 hours, seems like a simple replacement but needing it changed 4-5 times a year @ 9000 hours a year Hehehe just looking at cost to maintain as well, not that I have a clue lol. I'm going to need another power bar!
      I would set the flow at 60ml/ min. That seems like a good starting value for most people. Set the reactor pH high and slowly adjust pH down until you find your sweet spot. With the peristaltic pump giving consistent effluent flow, your adjustment will be with the reactors internal pH. The lower the pH in the reactor, the higher alkalinity in the effluent output

I am:
      Piratey

Edit: I plan to have a ph controller hooked up and an older style regulator with bubble counter. I will rely on the bubble counter on the actual unit itself and not the one on the regulator if that makes sense.
      I was shooting for around 6.7/6.8 in the reactor and 8.3 8n the display. Seems to be what alot are aiming towards from what I have read.
      Curious about the co2 as well. When setting up the regulator, what psi should I be aiming for and or start out with, I've seen 10ppm to 15pmm....how about right in the middle @ around 12.5ppm,set bubble counter to 1 drop every 2 seconds or 30 in a minute, or 1 every 3 seconds/ 20 every minute for lower ca and alk. Anywhere between 100 and 180 ml min effluent rate and then just adjust the needle valve as needed according to ca and alk testing. Hehehe most of this is a compilation of what I have read and watched this far. I understand everyone's tank is a lil different. My plan is to dose my tank to desired levels, get the reactor set up and then tune tune tune/ dial it in. Test alk daily and ca once to twice a week. Adjust bubble count and effluent as necessary. the barb to mur-loc fitting looks like it will work great for connecting that unit to the reactor. I'm curious if the make a 90° style one.
      Last edited by Drama D; 08-11-2018 at 07:13 PM.

I am:
      Piratey

I'm trying to go to sleep and I cant, urggh...
      Keep thinking about this reactor. Started watching videos and came across this one.
      https://youtu.be/gwlvfgDvQqg
      Is this what you where referring to Brandon when you said start high and slowly adjust down to prevent alk spikes. Also just noticed your in o side now, *** when did you move?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I'm trying to go to sleep and I cant, urggh...
      Keep thinking about this reactor. Started watching videos and came across this one.
      https://youtu.be/gwlvfgDvQqg
      Is this what you where referring to Brandon when you said start high and slowly adjust down to prevent alk spikes. Also just noticed your in o side now, *** when did you move?
      That's exactly what I was talking about. Easiest way to dial in a calcium reactor imo. I'm back and forth between Ramona and oceanside. Live in Oceanside with my girlfriend and our son. Work up in Ramona. I have a tank in both towns lol

I am:
      Piratey

Hahaha, sweet.
      I went ahead and picked up that kamoer fx-stp pump lol, after watching quite a few videos on it, looked like a good choice. I'm just worried about the motor burning out being on 24/7

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

What are you using for a regulator?

I am:
      Piratey

Couldn't afford the carbon doser, so I picked up a Milwaukee one with solenoid and bubble counter, also will be running a Milwaukee ph controller. I'm probably going to just keep the apex but I need to get a cheap laptop to update and program it. I remember on my old apex I had issues with it on my mac. Probably need a crash course on how to set it all up with everything.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information