• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calcium reactor questions

pirate2876 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

Quote Originally Posted by Drama D View Post
      I'm trying to go to sleep and I cant, urggh...
      Keep thinking about this reactor. Started watching videos and came across this one.
      https://youtu.be/gwlvfgDvQqg
      +1 for this method. This is how I use my cal reactor. I've been using a MJ 1200 or, similar to run it for 2+ yrs.

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

New question.

Is it better to push water (pressurize) through the reactor or pull water through the reactor (de-pressure or no pressure)? Or does it not matter?

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Pull. Reactors are not meant to be pressurized. I've read ofblown o rings

I am:
      Piratey

Thinking about it a lil more, how can I pull through the reactor? Would I run the charge line backwards through the effluent line, through the second chamber 1st then through the main chamber, then use the main feed line for the effluent line? Or would I just run the feed water line through the top tube on the peristalsis pump and the bottom line to the reactor? I'm confusing myself. I've been watching various videos on calcium reactors with paraststic pumps and all seem different than o e another.

I am:
      Piratey

I've got it, I'm dumb lol

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

Cal reactors are meant to be pressurized. Hence the screws and, thickness of the acrylic, and not to mention there is a pump within the reactor itself. Yes, you can blow the seals but, that would mean you have too much pressure inside them.

There are different ways you can run the reactor but, you don't overthink it. Once tuned, they are very stable as long as you a keep an eye out it and tank inhabitants. Of course everyone will have an opinion regarding this or, any piece of equipment for that matter but, cal reactors are EZ-peezy once you get the hang of them.

Here is a neat write up MD did about the basics of the cal reactor. https://www.marinedepot.com/what-is-...eactor-ap.html

brandon0350 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by pirate2876 View Post
      Cal reactors are meant to be pressurized. Hence the screws and, thickness of the acrylic, and not to mention there is a pump within the reactor itself. Yes, you can blow the seals but, that would mean you have too much pressure inside them.

There are different ways you can run the reactor but, you don't overthink it. Once tuned, they are very stable as long as you a keep an eye out it and tank inhabitants. Of course everyone will have an opinion regarding this or, any piece of equipment for that matter but, cal reactors are EZ-peezy once you get the hang of them.

Here is a neat write up MD did about the basics of the cal reactor. https://www.marinedepot.com/what-is-...eactor-ap.html
      After doing a little research I retract what I said. Not all calcium reactor are supposed to be zero pressure. The reactor I used, a Shuran Jetstream is a zero pressure reactor and that's why I stated that

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

Great thread. I've been using the method what was discussed in the video, seems to work ok. Still, I hate my old reactor and have been thinking to upgrade, so following along here and other places. I have read a few positive reviews about something by DaStaCo, so if you want to lose some more sleep check those out.

My wife and I were laughing about the free shipping here:
      https://uniquecorals.com/products/da...nt=53015847443

I am:
      Piratey

I've been reading about effluent and gfo, anyone have issues with there gfo rocking up when using a ca reactor?

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Poorly

I don't typically use GFO but when I have I never noticed anything different.

Those DaStaco reactors are neat but way overkill IMO. The plus side being they are suppose to be set and forget but, you still have to calibrate probes in some way. I guess if money was no issue, I would buy one.

Here's a list from all the things I've learned on using a cal reactor;
      • always make sure the effluent drips into the water. If the return is submerged, the tip/tubing will develop build up and you won't know it stops working.
      • Take out any sponges from the chamber. Sponges will quickly clog up and impede the gas/water exchange
      • Clean the pump inside the reactor frequently.
      • Watch the amount of media and change it out when you notice it looking smaller or, "grey"
      • Changes in the tank can effect the amount of ALK and CAL absorbed by the inhabitants. You should test frequently in any case.
      • I would cal these ALK reactors instead of CAL. I used these to set and keep my ALK steady rather than CAL.
      • Regulators seem to last 1-2 yrs. I've never used the nicer carbon doser one though.

I've used an Aquamaxx, Geo, and currently a Skimz reactor. I like the Skimz the most since it seems to use less CO2 than the other two. I also think the larger pump in the Skimz helps.

This is all from only my experience and I am far from an expert. Right now, my tank is less than perfect since I've been neglecting is and I didn't notice the reactor was not working until I lost a few nice colonies I grew out from frags.
      Last edited by pirate2876; 08-17-2018 at 09:49 AM.

I am:
      Piratey

Thank you^^^
      Here is an x mass basket, just waiting on a few things for the apex and some John guest fittings for pump to reactor tubes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information