• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Quarantine Tank Question

Raptor72 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Ok, now it's starting to
      become an obsession

I am:
      Cool

Quarantine Tank Question

I’m getting ready to set up my JBJ 30RL as a hospital tank for fish going into my RS 750. I’ve read about all the whys as far as setting one up and after losing numerous fish one by one, I’ve decided to go that route.

So besides the tank and screen I have a mesh cover, heater, PVC Ts and a power head. I’m also bringing in some bio balls from my DT to help with bacteria. What else would I need to make this successful? Any links to meds and timeframes would be appreciated.

become an obsession

I am:
      Cool

Anyone?

LotsaFishies is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

A proper QT should be at LEAST two weeks, preferably 3wks +

I like to use FW dips and ParaGuard.

Then other specific medications for specific issues when / if they arise.

hydrahawk is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Some wrasses like to bury themselves when they sleep. You can put some sand in a tupperware in the tank.

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Id suggest as much bio media as you can. Sounds like your hardware is covered besides that.

Depending on where you get your fish, you may have to adjust salinity to match the water in the BAG. Then slowly adjust Up.
      Many breed and ship at 1. 019 commonly. Thats pretty easy, just turn off the ato and top off with salt water.

Make sure the water is well cylced(15days?) with bacteria, Dr tims method or use brand new fresh scripps water (san diego Skip cycle).

Youll have to choose the type of QT you are doing. Some folks don't prophylacticly treat with copper. A 2-3 week observation, then de-worming treatment.
      Copper is 72 days because of the lifecycle of Ick and other parasites.

My only advice is to let the fish rest once in QT. we can actually stress a fish to death. So a fish new to QT then blasted immediately with copper can be a bad combination. Mixing meds too quickly can do the same. De worming is a low dose of poison basically.Kills little bugs, large animal just doesnt feel well. Cats and dogs respond similarly. Sick the first few days after he meds. Copper is the same. It messes with digestion , slime coat production etc. So IMO, go slow. After copper, most of the gut bacteria is dead and the slime coat is reduced.(like chemo, anti biotics in humans, the water in copper pipes), so good food, live or LRS, is recommended.

This guide is pretty spot on. Hes a bit clinical for my tastes(mixes meds, goes too fast, big fast WCs) but the info is all there.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine.232/

become an obsession

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by crabbysd View Post
      Id suggest as much bio media as you can. Sounds like your hardware is covered besides that.

Depending on where you get your fish, you may have to adjust salinity to match the water in the BAG. Then slowly adjust Up.
      Many breed and ship at 1. 019 commonly. Thats pretty easy, just turn off the ato and top off with salt water.

Make sure the water is well cylced(15days?) with bacteria, Dr tims method or use brand new fresh scripps water (san diego Skip cycle).

Youll have to choose the type of QT you are doing. Some folks don't prophylacticly treat with copper. A 2-3 week observation, then de-worming treatment.
      Copper is 72 days because of the lifecycle of Ick and other parasites.

My only advice is to let the fish rest once in QT. we can actually stress a fish to death. So a fish new to QT then blasted immediately with copper can be a bad combination. Mixing meds too quickly can do the same. De worming is a low dose of poison basically.Kills little bugs, large animal just doesnt feel well. Cats and dogs respond similarly. Sick the first few days after he meds. Copper is the same. It messes with digestion , slime coat production etc. So IMO, go slow. After copper, most of the gut bacteria is dead and the slime coat is reduced.(like chemo, anti biotics in humans, the water in copper pipes), so good food, live or LRS, is recommended.

This guide is pretty spot on. Hes a bit clinical for my tastes(mixes meds, goes too fast, big fast WCs) but the info is all there.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine.232/
      Thanks for all the info. Your link wasn’t working for me, just took me to the R2R main page but I’ll d a bit more research.

I am getting mixed messages regarding using the water from the DT water change as my initial water for the QT.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information