• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Light recommendation for reef tank

Bigdev108 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Light recommendation for reef tank

Hi guys,

Im new to the site and love it so far. Im also new to the the reef game and just got a 30 gallon setup. My dimensions are length=30" width=12" tall= 18". What is the best all around light for growing corals? I know there are different type of corals and not sure which direction I will be headed but need help on lighting since there are so many options. Please help!! Thank you.

TysTanks is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

First off, welcome! It’s really a good call to do research on all aspects of setting up a reef tank so you can avoid some of the most common mistakes or from buying equipment/livestock you ultimately won’t be happy with.

So most people here use either LEDs, T5 bulbs, or a combination of the two. There is a huge range of options, but in my opinion it’s really going to depend on what your budget is and what type of corals you want to keep. Any thoughts on those?

A great resource for setting up your first tank are the Bulk Reef Supply “52 Weeks of Reefing” series on YouTube. They even have multiple videos on the different types of lighting.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thank you bro! I will for sure look that up on youtube. I have a 6 gallon going now and thought the smaller the better but I ended up finding out bigger is easier so im moving to a 30 gallon which still isnt the easiest I hear to maintain. In my 6 gallon I have a wave point LED with a clown fish, gobi, bubble tip, and candy cane corals and they are all doing well. Im not sure what corals I want to do in the 30 yet so Im trying to figure out what lights are good for what..

garrettm is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Geeky

Welcome to the forum!

I would start by taking a look at some of the tanks you have seen that initially got you interested in the hobby. My opinion is that the most versatile (for coral growth and color) and successful reefs are using T5. They turn on and off with no need to mess with intensity is color settings.

I personally run a metal halide and T5 combo with T5 on my frag tank. It’s worked the best for me because when I tried LED I ended up playing with them too much and was impatient,that’s just my personality. Again, T5 is more than likely going to be a simple off and on.

Happy reefing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Thank you man I really appreciate the feedback. I will do some research on the T5

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

all about budget really. And heat. To a small extent also light intensity, but a small tank is easy to get higher light levels. . with t5 and halide its heat mitigation. less so with led. For t5 a four bulb would be good at 8-12" in above the tank. A 150 halide assuming it has good spread.

With led Its $$$. 2 kessil a160 would be fine. 2 Radion xr15 would be fine, one 30 would be fine,( youll have more "dead spots" on the left and right with a smaller single source)
      . one 300w (30in) mars aqua or SBreeflight would be fine(basic timer or Wifii ramping). A maxspect Razor (130w) is a good choice too, stupid cheap now BTW esp used. Reefbreeders Photons also good. SBreeflight and reefbreers have a variety to choose from Fwiw, and warranties.

Avoid the single 16in black boxes on a 30in tank imo. there are 12in black boxes as well, id use 2 of those. Same with kessil, id use 2 smaller rather than one larger, 2 160 vs 1 360 (lighting a rectangle with a small flashlight problem)

Hybreds($$$) are also good, (led +5) see ATI hybreds.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information