• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank updates and questions

IreneD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Tank updates and questions

So I started cycling my 7.5g cube and 20g long back at the end of March using Scripps water and soon after got word that I was okayed to register for and take a big exam, and so studying for this required most of my attention. So I've maintained weekly water changes and around May added a cleaning crew (1 snail or hermit per gallon). I took my licensure exam two weeks ago (and passed) and so I'm now able to focus my attention back on the tanks.

I never really got any algae booms throughout the cycle and when visiting a local store was told that because I was using Scripps water that I didn't have to test it so I haven't. I did see that my hermits were killing many of the snails eventhough I feed the tank baby brine shrimp so I'm just sticking to snails now. Maintaining salinity has been fun, the 20g has been a bit low while the 7.5 tends to go high. Just recently I started noticing the brown algae that you can see on the sand and filter tubes. Not sure what that's about.

I want to add fish to my 20g, does it sound like I'm ready?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by IreneD; 07-04-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Kris is offline Registered User
      My status is: End of the journey

I am:
      Tired

By faith many fish have been slaughtered.

I've had a bunch of live rock curing in my garage for a year, or two? I have a tank I want to re-scape and I was getting ready to do that about a few months back, and I wasn't going to test because I'd totally acid washed, bleached, dried, all of the rock very well before I put it in Scripps (Pacific Ocean sand-filtered hose) water. I figured that with the occasional raw shrimp I'd tossed into the barrel in the previous months that the rock would be nicely cycled and ready to toss into the tank. So I don't really know why I decided to do a dumb thing and test the water anyway, and I am gald I did. It turned out that the phosphates in the barrel were off the charts high. (The test vial turned blue instantly when i added reagent. A really dark and pretty blue actually.)

If you haven't tested, then you don't know for sure what is going on in those tanks. I see you have what appears to be live rock. Adding fish may be totally safe, but I would bet that if you add too many then they will all get sick and when you are done the tank will have cycled and you may have a fish or two left. How many is too many? I don't know myself but I do have a rule of thumb for figuring this one out:

Don't believe "the guy at the fish store" unless he has crucifixion scars on his hands and feet. Only Jesus can reliably tell for certain what is happening in your tank cycle without testing.

I will pray for you and your tank, and that you test before you add fish. Amen.

End of sermon.

Any believers out there? I mean, can I get an amen?
      Last edited by Kris; 07-04-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Having a religious moment

cshplumber is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Amen brother!!!

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

Amen!

If you are just adding fish, you are probably just fine. Get some dr tims one and only if you are in any doubt. Phosphate and nitrate levels have little to do with the fish question. Buy yea no harm in looking and testing . I haven't tested Po4 yet this year.(last years ICP showed an almost exact match to the scripps ICP)

My only observation on the tank is, for one thats been up that long, you should have a bit more algae on glass and corraline on the pumps, unless its youre just really good a cleaning, and not feeding flake foods(w spirulina) So make sure on clean good top off water(rodi best), chlorine does kill bacteria, Also small alages and microorganisms. A lot of tanks Ive seen with poor Ato water will have this symptom. But still probaly ok for fish with bacterial supplements.

Hermits need algae tabs,mostly they are herbivores. But yea, I only have one in my 30 and a couple in the 55 nad lots of snails. seems to like that balance.

IMO, if your looking as doing corals, an ATO is as important as flow esp in a small tank. I ran a 5g on my desk for 2 years +.

"Most" algae are introduced, into a tank, so not having them or a bloom isnt unusual. wet live rock and scripps will have much less of a diatom bloom. if you do its mostly on the sand, as the silicates are already dissolved and used up.

Good news is, its a small tank, so if the rock is good and mostly live, you can do a very large WC with fresh scripps water(its live) ad some dr tims and add fish(slowly) immediatly
      Thats a San Diego Skip Cycle. Its also emergency QT set up.(been there at 2am)

Hope that Helps. Super cute tank BTW.

IreneD is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Amen!!!

Thank you Kris and CrabbySD! Great info, super helpful. I feel a little better about what steps to take next

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crabbysd is offline Registered User
      My status is: Damp to the armpit

I am:
      Geeky

You're Welcome!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information